No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Knobs, Nipples, Bumps.....and ?? Label  (Read 5859 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Czech Knobs, Nipples, Bumps.....and ?? Label
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
Rose:

You're right. Even if you did find the source of the label, if it were an import label, you still wouldn't know who made it. To further confuse, I've seen import labels incorrectly applied. .

Despite my interest in the label (who imported all that Czech glass into North America?), you're right to focus on the who made the glass. I'd be inclined to go with Wayne's original suggestion of Borske Sklo, as the the pieces have so much in common. It's obviously not the same piece as in Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, but pretty much from the same line.  That would fit with it being Czech and it being an import label. Did you buy it in Canada, btw?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:58 AM »
thanks David:

yeah, looks like what Wayne had said about Borske Sklo, but then I have never held a piece, or seen a piece of this glass in Real life here -- so I do not know much about that type of glass.

As for the finish.....I do not know what to google here.  Do I call it a Gold Splash, or what?  I dunno...what to call the finish, or for that matter, how it was even applied.  So at my wits end.  No I purchased via the USA.  It was a birthday gift that my son got for me.  I wanted it because of the unknown label, and the pretty design.  I thought it might be a challenge (and a interesting mystery to try to figure out) since *some* of the label was there.

Seems like it has been....  :-\  and I am hoping that somewhere in the world, there has to be another label like it somewhere, or someone has come across one before.

What does one then make of the gold splatter ?? finish?  Must be able to find other examples of that somewhere via the net -- but I have not been having a lot of luck here.

:thud:  My head hurts....  :ho:  ;D
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
 :hi:

???  Good news, and Bad News....and ??? Good News as this topic is not dead yet....

I have received an answer back from V&A about this Vase, and label.  They do not recognize it, or the label -- but do believe it to be a Czech label......and said it looks like to them it may have said Moser too.  They suggested (???) it might have said Moser (and Son) or Sons ????

So no further -- but they gave me some info to try to dig further on this.  

I have to Thank the Victoria and Albert (V&A) Museum for replying back to me.  :hiclp: :hiclp:  That was very Nice of them!!!  :thup:  Thank You!!

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
BINGO --- Finally  :phew:

Rose:
You're right. Even if you did find the source of the label, if it were an import label, you still wouldn't know who made it. To further confuse, I've seen import labels incorrectly applied. .

Despite my interest in the label (who imported all that Czech glass into North America?), you're right to focus on the who made the glass. I'd be inclined to go with Wayne's original suggestion of Borske Sklo, as the the pieces have so much in common. It's obviously not the same piece as in Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, but pretty much from the same line.  That would fit with it being Czech and it being an import label. Did you buy it in Canada, btw?

David

Look what I stumbled upon today while trying to hunt for some info on another persons post.  The very same Glass item, and with more of the label.  So YES, this is an *Import Label* but now at least I know who made it.

It is:

LIPPER
&
MANN
CREATIONS
MADE IN
CZECHOSLOVAKIA

*CLICK*- SAME VASE HERE w/LABEL

Still do not know the maker of the Glass vase for sure, for sure yet....but at least one mystery is now solved.  LOL  :24: and I accidentally found this today when I was not even looking for anything even close to it -- So go figure.  I guess never say Never  ;)

Here I had worked so hard on this when I was trying to figure out the words trying Cryptogram

Using a cryptogram service on the net was typing some letter combos in -- and I think the word above *Made in Czechoslovakia* could also be the following Word:  CREATIONS.  As that word would also fit in there -- I think, IMHO.  Just me having a Monologue here with myself throwing ideas around...............I can not be the only person in the Whole World that has this label ???..........Can anyone else see on the newest, newest, newest Close-up posted here (one post above this), the other letters I mention that you can see where I bent back some of the small foil edges.  Anyone.....
______ER

______N

CREATIONS
MADE IN
CZECHOSLOVAKIA

So I had figured out the one word that was CREATIONS using Cryptogram solving...... :24:......As I was trying hard, but I better stick to doing the Cryptograms in the newspaper only. :-\

Found here that Lipper & Mann started their Import Company in 1946, scroll down:  http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/html/porcelain_pottery_china_marks_1.htm

Whew...but glad I stumbled upon this today.  One part of a mystery solved!!!!  :thup:  

I lean towards Borske Sklo too as Wayne said...

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
 :chky: :chky: :chky:

Please fellow GMB -- see the above Post -- Found the label!!!  :chky: :hiclp: :thup:  Now we know...

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
Congratulations! I'm happy for you that you managed to find it!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »
Ooohh well done Rose, that's a good step forward!  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Lipper and Mann became Lipper International when Lipper bought out Mann in 1963, so that gives you a good date range for your piece of between 1946 - 1963.

Lipper International are still in existence and have a website here: http://www.lipperinternational.com/default.asp - it might be worth dropping them a line with photos and see if they can tell you more about your piece Rose? Fingers crossed for you :girlcheer:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
Rose that's great sleuthing  :rah:  I hope they can give you more info.
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »

Lipper and Mann became Lipper International when Lipper bought out Mann in 1963, so that gives you a good date range for your piece of between 1946 - 1963.

Lipper International are still in existence and have a website here: http://www.lipperinternational.com/default.asp - it might be worth dropping them a line with photos and see if they can tell you more about your piece Rose? Fingers crossed for you :girlcheer:

Thanks Anne -- yes, I may do that to see IF they can add anymore info (even what the finish is called).  I am so really  :chky: as I had given up totally on this item.....then *Bang* the info of the label dropped into my lap.

Thanks also for the dating info "...so that gives you a good date range for your piece of between 1946 - 1963...."   I am really excited as you guys have no idea how many different *tag words combination* I tried, and nothing.  Then this POPS out while looking for something else. 

What a Godsend!!   :cheers:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

Hi Anne:
I took your suggestion and sent them an e-mail just yesterday -- and received this reply back today.  Must say they were fast, but their info was lost.  See their reply:

"Lipper and Mann dissolved in the 1961.  Lipper International had the archives but when they moved from New York to Connecticut in 1981 unfortunately all of the L&M archives were lost.

My only suggestion would be to check with the Antique Road Show as seen on public broadcasting.  I believe they do have a web site.  There is also a site called  HowMuchIsThisWorth (DOT) com although I have never tried it."  Regards,  Cathy Smith

So they do not have any archives, but at least the Import Label I have now found has an ID, for any further reference to anyone.  Not sure if we have had a Lipper and Mann Import label here before -- so always good info to have.  When  a person has a hard enough time ID a Maker label -- it is Great to be able to ID an partial *Import* Label too.

Just have to find one with a Makers Label on it  :X:  but I too still lean towards Borske Sklo too as Wayne said.  Hope there is a 3rd or 4th one out there in the Internet World......LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand