No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Knobs, Nipples, Bumps.....and ?? Label  (Read 5861 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Czech Knobs, Nipples, Bumps.....and ?? Label
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
 :hi: there:

I recently purchased this, and have no idea about it.  I bought it for the label....and the fact that it is very pretty.  It has what you call either *Knobs, Nipples, or bumps* all over it.  The label is Red and Silver Foil label.  By the bottom is appears to have seams (pressed)?  I am not sure what you would call the finish on it -- but like a Splashed Gold on it.  The label is square with that looks to be a Crown on the top edge of the label.  Unfortunately, some of the label is missing so all you can see is:

__?______ ER
___?____NS
And then you can clearly see the word CZECHOSLOVAKIA

I have been hunting around on the Net and have found nothing for this label, but then I am not sure who/what I am looking for.  Any ideas of year, maker....or anything. 

Is it about 9.25 inches high, 5 inches wide at the widest point.  The top opening is about 4 inches.  The top rim looks polished.  I had a hard time getting a good pic of it -- as I think the *sparkle* from the vase had my camera adjusting more to that - than the rim. But I tried.  It is very pretty !!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thxs   :kissy:

Clueless in Canada :spls:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Czech Knobs, Nipples, Bumps.....and ?? Label
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
I'm very intrigued by the label. Sorry, don't know it, I can only speculate:

The ER immediately triggered the possibility of Moser, but this type of label is not listed in the Moser book. Neither have I seen any work in there in this sort of style. So if the ER stands for Moser, it's more obscure than what I have access to.

Stylistically it reminded me more of Borske Sklo, and if I understand correctly, Borske Sklo was in charge of the Moser factory for a while. It could also be that this label was an import label, and that the Moser name was (perhaps not correctly) used since it was more famous?

If nobody has a better idea, you could try to send it to customerservice@moser-glass.com, to ask if this is some sort of Moser label, and if they know the piece.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
Hi Rose, from the bobble pattern and the shape I'd say Borske Sklo, Mark Hills book "Hi Sklo Lo Sklo" shows a bobbled example on page 69, different shape though.  I've sold quite a few of these in the past, and when you compare all the shapes and patterns it's pretty convincing, see here:

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bohemian_glass/borskeglass_home.htm

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
Forgot to mention, that cross shape on the base underneath the label is also a good indicator of Borske Sklo.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »
Hi Rose, from the bobble pattern and the shape I'd say Borske Sklo, Mark Hills book "Hi Sklo Lo Sklo" shows a bobbled example on page 69, different shape though.  I've sold quite a few of these in the past, and when you compare all the shapes and patterns it's pretty convincing, see here:

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bohemian_glass/borskeglass_home.htm

Hi Wayne:
I did go through your pictures, and was (almost) convinced too.  Here at home I did a *split screen* image with one of yours, and a pic of mine.  I say almost.......because this one seems to flare a bit more inwards at the top than the other ones.  Still Yes, they look almost the same -- and I am not sure IF that flare being more inwards (only slightly) makes much difference...or not.  I checked through several of your pics there -- and it seems like mine curves in a bit more at the top than the other pictures there

So does that variation make much difference?  I do not know (????) but I thought worthy to mention since I have never seen, nor handled anything similar.....

As for the Color (and the Gold) what are your thoughts on that?

The bottom cross is that blown molded? or I called it pressed because I thought it might be seams ??? 

Have any idea of the label at all?  I bought it mainly for that since it could not be read, but at least it said "Czechoslovakia" which is a lead, even with the most of the label gone.  It sure is Pretty.  Not sure if the pics do it Justice as to what it looks like in real life. I have been trying to find something on the label here too. 

As Astrid said about Moser ...that ran through my mind....but I do not know much about that type of glass except what I have read on the board here, as I have never had a piece in my hand, or know that much about the types of labels.

This is just me thinking out loud....  and  :kissy:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
whoops forget to add.....

When I look at 20 century glass there Wayne......this (almost) looks like the Boske Sklo crossed with *Splashes* of Gold Gilt like you also have there on your page on the Cylindrical ones.

Might this be (???) Splashed Gold Gilt on this?  Ever seen something like that.  I do not know how to describe it -- but it looks pretty much like Gold Gilt on it...

:huh:

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
Sorry Rose, I just had a closer look at your pics, and I see what you mean about the gold, it does look like gold gilt painted on, something I've never seen before with these vases, quite interesting!  The "spashed" effect might just be the result of the gold wearing off over time, maybe once it was completely covered in gold gilt!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
Looking at Marks book again, the vases are mould blown, and have "a full or partial impressed cross on the base which was left by the four part moulds used".

You're right the shape is a bit different, but I'm still pretty convinced it's Borske.  Can't help with the label I'm afraid, I've never seen it before.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
Thanks Wayne (and Astrid):

Never thought of that -- maybe it once was all covered with gold gilt.....but then you would think that the bumps would be the first place it would wear off....as the bumps would be likely to be exposed more (IMHO).

I did find under google, about and early Moser label having a M in a shield with a crown on top --- but not sure IF this has anything to do with anything.

I am going to take a look to see IF the Gold scratches a bit.....only in a tiny bottom section.

I was not sure if this was pressed, but makes sense to be Mould Blown and having partial impressed cross on the base......will keep hunting here too...

....Might have to catch a few  :sleep: here, as it is almost 5:00 a.m. here........and I have not hit the hay yet!!!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
It sounds like Astrid is onto something with the Borske - Moser link, so it could be worth emailing them like she suggests.  Maybe Jindrich will know more too.

Your golden vase is certainly very Christmassy anyway, it goes well with those baubles!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand