No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridised bubbly textured freeform tricorn bowl - ID = Heron Glass, Cumbria  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I think that's the best description I can make for this thing! Can anyone please give me a clue as to where to start with it? I have no idea where it may have started life, but today it came to live with me... it's quite hard to get decent pics of as the camera doesn't want to focus too well - think maybe the iridisation is messing with its auto-focus beam!

Anyhow, it's iridised, oil-on-water effect, a golden yellow colour smooth on the inside, texture is of irregular shaped and sized popped bubbles on the outside. Where the bubbles were is clear not yellow.... the shine is very shiny except around the bottom where it becomes a dull sheen rather than a real glistening shine. I've tried to show this is the pics - and it's the same inside and out. The rim is also duller and slightly rougher - when I run my finger along the rim I can here it sing (not high like crystal does but it still makes a noise.) The base is flat and polished with some natural looking wear scratches and is also clear glass. The glass is approx 10mm thick (4/10s of an inch).

Size is 90mm (3½") at its highest point, diameter at its widest is 210mm (8¼"). It weighs 1046g (a shade under 37oz). No marks of any kind, of course!

This is way out of my comfort zone, can anyone help please?

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Iridised bubbly textured freeform tricorn bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Few more pics to try and show the shape and finish...

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
Hi Anne (Merry Xmas there - not here yet...)   :ru:

That is very Pretty!!!

Very highly iridescent bowl, almost like some Carnival Glass Colors that I have seen.  Yes, wonder what word would work to describe it:  Iridescent, lustre (or luster) , luster ware, Nash Gold, or even Floragold (not sure how it is spelled, or if it is two words ?? Flora Gold)

A person never knows how it was described in order to find it.  I have seen non-carnival glass being referred to a Flora Gold too --- so ????

Very Pretty, looks well made......and I am sure some *cranberries* would look perfect in it for Xmas Meal :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
Lovely Bowl Anne.  For some reason it reminds me of Royal Brierley Irridesence bowl that I own.  The shape of the raised outer glass is similar to a piece I have(see attached) even though mine is a very different colour.

Ross

:fc: :fc: :fc:
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
It's definitely not Royal Brierley!
This studio style range from Royal Brierley was designed by Michael, Elizabeth and Timothy Harris (as Harris, Harris & Harris Ltd. in 1988). It was to emulate studio glass, but in mass production. The glass is thin, while this is very thick - and I'd say of true studio glass production.

It does remind me a bit of some pieces by Chris Lucas, Anne.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
Rose, yes it's hard to describe huh? I'm really taken with it - spotted it on Tuesday, couldn't carry it as I was loaded up, so popped back in Friday and it was still there waiting for me, so was meant to come home with me. :) It's totally unlike most of my other glass so well out of my comfort zone!

Ross, thanks for the suggestion. The textures not quite the same but I see where you're coming from. I love the RB pieces too but this is more of a popped bubbles effect but I don't think they were bubbles, perhaps more a resist / reaction with whatever was put on the surface? (Anyone able to tell me how this is done please?)

Sue, confirmation appreciated thank you. Chris Lucas was the Alum Bay glass man wasn't he? I'll explore that avenue. I've been googling to try and find something similar and failing miserably!

Any other thoughts are very welcome. :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:23:07 AM »
????  Hi Anne:
Wonder if this term used to describe this item, might be a *similiar* pattern design for yours.

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/ONLINECATALOGS/Sept2004/webAC/0508.jpg

As quoted from the above link:  
"508. Loetz vase, bulbous form with four indentations in green glass with iridescent oilspot design, 7.5"h"

:huh:    :spls:

So I am just wondering IF the design/texture of the surface of yours *might* be called *IRIDESCENT OILSPOT DESIGN* (????) -- as the bubbled surfaced kinda does look like that. So maybe this terminology will help.

Here is another one with that same sort of (only) oilspot (mottled) texture ** HERE

............or a described here:  http://rariora.com/glass/loetz-shade-gas-hanging-x2-candia-papillon

It says there that:  "....They are made in Candia (yellow) glass with highly iridirized Pallion (oilspot) decor of strong Colour

So might your color be:  Candia ???
And the design be referred to as Pallion (or Oilspot) or mottled design ??????

:huh: :huh:

So *might* the texture/color be that of Iridescent Candia Papillon (??????????)  

Just throwing things out there.... as you did say in the beginning "Anyhow, it's iridised, oil-on-water effect, a golden yellow color smooth on the inside..." as you yourself describe it as an oil-on-water effect.    

So I am just trying to find some other terminology to use for that pattern...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:02:02 AM »
Rose, thank you, that's sweet of you to search. :kissy:  It's so hard to explain what this is like... the ones you found aren't the same sort of thing, as they have a complete surface - told you this was hard! Mine is as if the yellow iridescent finish has sissed off the surface to make the clear popped bubble areas.

I'm not sure if the word sissed is a help or not, but it describes what it looks like - when I'm painting with my enamel paints sometimes one colour reacts with the underlying colour and creates blobs where the top layer of paint won't cover the base, so the base layer shows through. It's a chemical mis-match / reaction between the two paint colours we call sissing. The bubbles on the bowl remind me of this strongly.

It's as if, when the bowl was being made in clear glass, it was sprayed with the metallic salts which caused the iridising but something else was either sprayed or splashed onto the surface as well and where that hit the iridising didn't take, so it acts like a resist causing these clear popped bubble like areas.

Does that make any sense at all, or am I just rambling nonsense?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
This is a link to an auction sale showing a bit by Chris Lucas. It's the combination of lustred and some form of incompatible glazes (resist sort of thing) that made me think you should have a look in this direction, Anne. I have seen other bits which demonstrate it better, but can't find them right now!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Studio-Art-Glass-Iridescent-Lustre-Vase-C-Lucas-/330486177780
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
Saw a green one of these today at a flea market, sadly no labels or marks either. All I can add is that the finish does leave a prominent texture and they look modern.  So not much use really. :cry: ::)

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand