No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chippendale glass  (Read 22564 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Chippendale glass
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »
Tony I'll e-mail you off board about this. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Chippendale glass
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2005, 05:26:39 AM »
Hi Folks

Back from the drawing board, I remembered that I had a Yahoo photo album, it was still thier, I changed to Photobucket as in Yahoo you cannot link to a photo you can only link to or share a whole album.

Well lets see if this works here is a link to my Chippendale Glass

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tony554nz/album?.dir=3a2c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%

Let me know if it works, comments and questions please.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Cats_Whiskers_Glass

• Members
    • http://cwglass.net
General info on Chippendale and Krys-Tol glass
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2005, 02:24:01 PM »
Although nowadays synonymous, Krys-tol is actually the name for a glass making process created by Benjamin Jacobs about 1905. There are a number of patterns made with this process and are marked Krys-Tol.  Chippendale is one of those patterns.

The Chippendale pattern was first made by Ohio Flint Glass Company (1905-1908) and they obtained a patent on the design 05-Feb-1907.  When they closed, Jacobs went to Jefferson Glass Company.

Jefferson Glass produced the Chippendale pattern from 1909 -1919 when they sold it to Central Glass. At this point in time, there were more then 300 items in the line.  

Central Glass produced the pattern from 1919-1929 when they sold the molds (and rights) to Charles J. Pratt; their agent in England.

Mr. Pratt had G. Davidson & Co. produce the items for him.  Circa 1933 Davidson purchased the molds from Mr. Pratt. They continued to produce items in this pattern well into the mid-1950's.  

Both Jefferson & Central had a large International market for this pattern. Various records indicate they shipped goods to Western Europe, India, China, Australia and the United Kingdom. In the U.K. this pattern was sold by the National Glass Company.  

Jefferson opened a factory in Toronto Canada in 1912 which was later taken over by Dominion Glass Co.  It is quite likely, Chippendale pattern items were also produced there.

Bagley (UK) produced a few items in their "Queen's Choice" line which have a striking similarity to Chippendale, especially the salt.  

In addition to paper labels, items have been found embossed with "Krys-Tol", "Chippendale-Krys-Tol", and  "Pat, Feb 5, 1907-Krys-tol"  It has been reported that only the items produced by Ohio Flint, Jefferson, or Central carry the embossed markings.

Colors (colours) Produced primarily in crystal, items can be found in Blue, Black, Amethyst, Amber, Canary, Green, and Chinese jade.  Davidson is reported to have made some items in both their Amber and Green "Cloud Glass".

Offline chloe

• Members
Re: Chippendale glass
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
Hope it is OK to bump this up, but was doing a search on CHippendale & found this thread.  Does anyone still have a copy of the scanned catalogue?  I, too, am collecting this glass and would love a reference!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 02:52:05 AM »
Chloe, some of my identified Chippendale is in my Cyberglass Gallery - you might find them useful for id'ing things: http://www.yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/  - put Chippendale into the Search to bring them all up in a batch.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
So if I've understood this correctly, the items in the 1915 Krys-Tol advert (shown in Raymond Notley's, Pressed Flint Glass), would have been made by Davidson from the 1930's-50's. 

At the time of the advert the items made by Jefferson, and also Central in the next decade, would have had some form of trademark in the base of their moulds.  So, when Davidson bought the moulds they were reworked to have the star in the base to obscure the trademark?  ???

I'm curious because I picked up a dinky pair of salts (not the trophy style) which appear to be in the 1915 advert, but with a star base.  They measure approximately 6cm x 3cm and weigh 70g each.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand