No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Czech pressed vase?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this a Czech pressed vase?
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
Not an uncommon shape which occurs occasionally thru earlier parts of the C20 - a sort of stunted version of the 'wheatsheaf' shape - perhaps a stylized 'basket' pattern sort of thingy.    I bought this lunchtime because I convinced myself it was pressed Czechoslovakian from somewhere in the 1960 - 1980 period  -  but having now looked thru the CD and the book, have a feeling I was wrong.   I still think the base is very Skl Union, and the colour looks nearly right (in fact in the flesh it is a little more 'greeny/blue').
At the widest it is 8.5"/215mm and the height is something like 5.5"/140mm.   Have I missed seeing it - might it be the Polish LSA production?  Sorry the pics. have a bit too much glare.     All thoughts very welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: is this a Czech pressed vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
I think I'd be looking closer to home Paul - perhaps Sowerby or Davidson. Davidson who certainly did this colour and Sowerby did that ridged pattern... but I could be wrong so don't take it as gospel! :pb:

Edited to correct my erroneous info re Davidson!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »
might it be the Polish LSA

LSA International is a UK-based design company that outsources its production worldwide, including probably to Krosno in Poland
http://www.lsa-international.com/

Krosno makes hand-blown glass in a factory, not pressed glass
http://www.krosno.com.pl/en/

I don't know where your vase was made but I would say 1960/70s is about right. The base is a fairly standard pressed base and not indicative of anywhere in particular.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
my thanks to both of you, and I will look again this evening when I'm at home.     Will try the Soweby CD's and have a look at the Davidson images - for starters. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
Paul, this is an example of the Sowerby glass I'm meaning:
(two examples in fact - both Sowerby) and the bases which look very like yours: I've seen this pattern in a whole range of colours, including I'm pretty sure, one the colour of yours.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
thanks again Anne for the links, and my thoughts, in no particular order, are:
Not sure that this colour is Davidson  -  I stand to be corrected, but this piece is a very greeny blue, and having looked thru the Davidson 'between the wars' and 'post WW2' pieces, I don't recall seeing this hue.         Neither do I think it is a Sowerby colour.
Looking at your pics. of Sowerby items, the main (clear) 'Boat' vase is an item that turns up not infrequently at boot sales, and is a design of which I have an example  - believe it is pattern 2634 and occurs certainly from 1940 onwards, and may well have been in existance even earlier.        Forgive me being a little pedantic.......the fluting is dissimilar.......on the boat they come to a sharpish ridge......on my piece they are rounded......and at the base they finish differently.   Again, taking these two items as examples, the pressed star pattern on the base shows reasonable differences.    Not conclusive, I agree, and to be fair without the two in front of you it is impossible to appreciate the differences.   Fatal for me to be dogmatic (especially as I don't like pets), but I sense mine is Continental - it just has that look.   But, hey, I've been wrong too many times, and you are far more knowledgable than me.     thanks again :)   I think I'm yet to find my vase tho.
P.S.  It's an ill wind and all that.........amazing what you find when you start looking at catalogues, as you will see from a couple of other pieces I'm about to post - which were found whilst looking for this vase.     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »
Paul I think this vase may be in a similar green blue colour?  it is Sowerby.  It's difficult to tell without the pieces in front of you but Sowerby also did the plain small boat shaped dish in a blue that looks like that one.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34721.0.html

m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:17 PM »
Paul, I stand (or sit!  :P) corrected - it wasn't a Davidson piece in that colour I have, it's Sowerby too! (My memory's going now! ::)) http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-6 in a different pattern, but as I said earlier, I have seen the other pattern (i.e. the ridged one in my links above) in the same colour a while back, in the Age Concern shop in Kendal, but didn't buy it (wish I had done now!)  

I have another flatter bowl the same colour which I think is also Sowerby: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-36 (is this like the one you mean M?) and had one of the in-curved ones until it suddenly cracked in two!

The nearest Davidson colours would be either Lovat or Antique Blue I think, but neither are quite the same as yours looks in the photo.

I take your point about the slight differences between your pattern and mine though - it's the sort of detail which isn't always apparent in photos. :usd:

I love the shape of your vase, and can see why you suspected Czech as they did some pieces that shape. I have a clear Czech one in a cupboard somewhere too! :pb:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
BTW Paul, I've just spotted this vase on Pamela's Museum site - similar colour again, though a different shape. Pamela's is "Lausitzer Glas" dated 1969 - might be another avenue to explore. ;)

Dang! Forgot the link this time!  :-[
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/08279.html

:sun:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
Anne it was this one I was thinking of  (probably the one you mentioned cracked in two?) I've had a few of these in the teal blue and I have a labelled example.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32415.msg175296.html#msg175296

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand