No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small clear vase with engraved mistletoe -- maker?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Small clear vase with engraved mistletoe -- maker?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
Now I know this little vase is Czech, but I don't know the maker.  A polite bump. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
 ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
Dirk (and Pamela), THANK YOU!!! :kissy: And I originally thought that little card said 'various vases'. Lol.  Thank you for enlarging it for me.

It's fantastic to have the name of the designer -- Alfred Scholler -- though I haven't been able to find any information on him yet.  I've looked up 'Dolni Maxov' and know it's in the district of Jablonec nad Nisou, but I haven't found any information about the glassworks.  (There is a glassworks in Dolni Maxov which is currently for sale: http://www.finapra.cz/2011/01/28/prodej-objektu-sklarske-hute-maxov-udrzovana-zasoby/ but that information doesn't help very much.  :-\)

I've received such wonderful answers... now I've got so many more questions. :hi:

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that yours was designed by the same person, or manufactured by the same company, as those in Dirk's photo.  This style was so popular that I'd bet a few companies made similar things.  It looks to me like yours was molded then frosted (etched), with a few details added by engraving.  I'd be very surprised to see Harrach make something of this quality (not particularly high, in my opinion - sorry!).
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »
I wasn't 'jumping' Kristi, I was strolling...   ;)

To be honest, looking at Dirk's photograph and at my piece, I don't see a marked difference, save the flower. Perhaps a silly question, but when talking about glassworks, is 'Harrach' and 'Dolni Maxov' one and the same?

Thank you for your comments -- always appreciated! :hi:

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
Oh, sorry, I wasn't meaning to say that Harrach had anything to do with the ones Dirk showed, just referring to their earlier appearance in the thread. 

For all I know, yours could be designed by Scholler, too...I just meant there was no conclusive evidence of it.  It's kind of hard to see the details in the Scholler examples to do much meaningful comparison, though they do sort of have a molded look judging by the way light is refracted.

I dunno, I'm not adding anything in the way of ID info here - wish I could!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
While searching for something else, I stumbled across a very similar vase in "Pressglas-korrespondenz" attributed to Glaswerk Juliusz Stolle Niemen, um 1910.  See the first page of the article:  http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2007-2w-kwasnik-stolle-niemen.pdf

I've written to Ms Kwaśnik-Gliwińska.  Perhaps she will be able to provide more insight.   :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand