No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter  (Read 388 times)

Offline ritamar

• Members
Decanter
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Good Morning Everyone.
Can anybody help me with any information about this lovely old decanter.
Cheers Rita

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Decanter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
hello Rita  -  don't think I'm seeing the second picture too clearly, but looks as though the base is flat, and not star cut (which would be more common)  -  am I correct?
Stylistically, the neck rings should put the date back to the first third of the C19 - but since the Victorians were notorious at copying anything and everything - I stand to be corrected, and it may well be a late C19 example copying an earlier Georgian style.       In terms of quality, better pieces were usually (not always tho.) diamond scratched with matching Nos............one often placed on the stub or neck of the stopper, and the other on the flange of the body  -  have you looked for these Nos.?     I believe that your stopper is described as a mushroom shape and, internally your decanter looks clean and without misting/staining  -  I'd take a punt and suggest possibly French - those very large cut panels and the wide (flat) neck flange - but that really is only an off the wall thought. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Paul — grateful thanks (you know why).   :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline ritamar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
Thank you Paul for all the information. Taken another look for the no's as suggested but cannot find any.
The base is flat with the pontil mark.
Any idea of value???

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
thanks Bernard :)
Rita  -  my apologies, I obviously wasn't looking carefully enough, and hadn't seen the concave pontil mark.     Beyond the rather bog standard pointers about decanters  i.e.  neck ring patterns - type of panel cuts, mushroom or spire stoppers, and the matching Nos. etc., I know very little about them specifically, so maybe someone else will be able to help further.   I understand that there is a tendency for genuine C18 and very early C19 examples to show a slightly greyer colour of glass.   
As to value, I think most of us would agee that this is too subjective - very much dependent on how much someone wants something  -  so really unable to help you there.     Places like charity shops and boot sales are sometimes awash with these things  -  although they are often chipped and stained internally, thus reducing their appeal.   Assuming yours is the original stopper, then this is a plus  -  as so often stoppers have been lost or damaged and the replacement looks wrong (and this is where the Nos. come in  -  as if they don't match, then they didn't start out in life together).              Just fill yours with sherry, and enjoy its beauty (and of course drink the sherry) ;) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand