No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina query  (Read 707 times)

Offline POOLED70

• Members
Mdina query
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »
I have recently acquired a small collection of Mdina that I need some help with. First off are these 2 carafes the larger one is 11" high and is signed Mdina with a concave ground pontil mark and the smaller one is 9.25" high unmarked with a flat polished base. Firstly I would like an opinion on the Mdina signature is this in Michael Harris' hand? its unlike the later loopy signatures, how many sizes were these carafes made in and were they made during the Harris period, and lastly what does the smaller one being unmarked signify? (if anythting at all!)

Thanks in advance for any help, Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Mdina queery
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
I don't think that's Michael's writing. Whoever was free did the signing, so they vary. Lack of signature doesn't mean anything except there wasn't time to sign it. Very nice carafes! I'm sure someone else will have thoughts on your other questions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina queery
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
At first glance it does not look like Mr Harris' hand, here is an example signed by him: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11858 but comparing the two side by side it might well be (guess who is sitting on the fence!).

The carafes were made before and after Harris left Malta and in several sizes, some smaller than either of yours. Many Mdina items went unsigned for a variety of reasons.

John

Offline POOLED70

• Members
Re: Mdina query
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
Thanks for the input Christine :thup:

John, it was this example that made me think it could be signed by Michael, the neat engraving, the slope of the letters and the way the 'M' is formed with the tail at the start. But I will bow down to your superior knowledge. When was the concave pontil used or was it a random feature that cropped up irregularly?

Dave

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
The writing looks like Eric Dobson's to me.
Concave, round polished pontil marks were introduced by the Boffos, and were only done during the Harris/Boffo period - they were work intensive. Most of the 11" carafes I've seen have round polished pontil marks - I suspect they may mostly be early. I also suspect that carafes this shape tend towards an early period - much later ones (they were produced for a long period) have very pronounced shoulders - they're more bell-shaped.
However, I have seen big bell shaped ones in Amethyst..........

Exact knowledge about these sorts of things is scant - most of my suspicions about what was made when, and how scarce things are, comes from studying pieces I've seen - so all my evidence only comes from the bits I've encountered in the secondary market - and that is NOT a comprehensive representation of the production.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline POOLED70

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
Thanks Sue thats very helpful.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
The most helpful advice I can give about Mdina is to go with your guts - each piece is different, some bits are more appealling than others. I think these are particularly good bits - loads of colour and movement.

Don't, please, take my opinions as fact or go quoting them as such!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand