No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese snuff bottle ?  (Read 762 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Chinese snuff bottle ?
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
I'm not sure if there are any collectors/experts on here for this type of thing?

http://flic.kr/p/9dk5ik

http://flic.kr/p/9dobsm

I get a little confused about these and don't really know what constitutes the genuine article. It is really detailed, obviously hand-painted on the inside as you can see the exit marks from the paint-brush on the neck of the bottle. All that said you see loads on eBay selling for nothing.

I recently sold a porcelain dragon design snuff bottle that I got for £1 on eBay for over £500 so I thought I better check this one out too.

~Adam 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Chinese snuff bottle ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:00:40 AM »
Have a few snuff bottles although no interior painted ones,very difficult to tell the quality from a picture,seen a lot of transfer pieces recently,how they get them on the inside I don't know,you could try posting a pic' on the 'Asian Arts Forum' there are some knowledgeable people there ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:23:09 AM »
Hi Adam,
Unfortunately I'm neither an expert or collector of these things but I do have a very similar one, mine has tigers and Chinese characters on it and its lid is brown rather than black.
Approx: 10cm tall.
It came in a little silk and cardboard box. My niece purchased it in China last year.
I have assumed mine was probably made for the tourist market as a souvenir.

Cheers
Meegs

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Have a few snuff bottles although no interior painted ones,very difficult to tell the quality from a picture,seen a lot of transfer pieces recently,how they get them on the inside I don't know,you could try posting a pic' on the 'Asian Arts Forum' there are some knowledgeable people there ;D

You can see a full-size image if you follow the Flickr links, I think it's reasonably painted considering the size and the nature of the task - how they achieve it I do not know!

Regarding the art of internal glass painting, I just watched this documentary which is fascinating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt54NV4yD6Y&feature=related

I have used the Asian arts forum quite a bit and agree there are some knowledgeable and helpful people there and would recommend it to anyone   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
Hi Adam,
Unfortunately I'm neither an expert or collector of these things but I do have a very similar one, mine has tigers and Chinese characters on it and its lid is brown rather than black.
Approx: 10cm tall.
It came in a little silk and cardboard box. My niece purchased it in China last year.
I have assumed mine was probably made for the tourist market as a souvenir.

Cheers
Meegs

This is probably the history of mine too, there must be loads of man-hours used to make it however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand