No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance? Ravenhead? Transfer Printed Wine Glasses  (Read 1182 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Chance? Ravenhead? Transfer Printed Wine Glasses
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
I wonder if anyone recognises this glass?  I have looked at countless transfer printed tumbler patterns on Ebay and other sites and through my books but can hardly find any reference to wine glasses.  They are quite nicely done and are obviously imitating  cut crystal patterns.  And I'm just assuming that they are British - a sensible guess or not?  I have six of them, they measure 6" high x 2.25" in diameter.
Iain

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Chance? Ravenhead? Transfer Printed Wine Glasses
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
I am pretty sure it is not made by Chance. If it is British, then Dema is a possibility, or Sherdley/Ravenhead. The trouble is so many companies in different countries started producing transfer-printed and silk-screen-printed tableware that without records it can be difficult to positely identify them.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »
Thanks for your input.  I had the feeling that it might be a case of needle and haystack.......
Iain

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
I'm fairly sure these ones are Dema - I seem to remember seeing them in boxed sets in charity shops - quite often.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
I think you are probably right, Sue. Ravenhead (and Sherdley preceding this) was better known for more colourful silk-screen-printed designs (Alexander Hardie Williamson being its most notable designer) and a lot of Dema's output from the mid-1950s(?) appears to be a single colour.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
Now that I've rummaged about on Ebay, Dema makes sense to me.  But I have to confess that I hadn't heard of Dema until now javascript:void(0);Even though I've bought and sold Edinburgh Crystal and Webb's too, I hadn't known that Dema had swallowed them up before its own demise.  I need to read the books that I already have a little more closely I think. Thanks.
Iain

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
 :24:

Are you another one of those who works on the principle that the info from books will osmose it's way into your brain simply from the proximity to them that arises from owning them????

(My Dad had a colleague at uni who kept his most important text book in his pocket the whole time, hoping it would save him the horror of actually reading it. It's an old idea, it's been tried and tried and it honestly doesn't work. :cry: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
My bedside table is groaning under the weight of all the half read books waiting for more of my attention.  Wot a bummer to learn that osmosis doesn't actually work. :cry: it would have been such a painless way to swallow, for example, the Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass book all 480 pages of it.  Then I wouldn't need to post so many questions.  So it's back to my reading glasses and a large glass of wine and a another dip into this lovely book.
Iain

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:08 AM »
Dema for sure. We used to have some. I think we bought them from either Woolworths or the Co-op.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand