No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink opaline vase - Bohemian or Italian or French? any other thoughts please  (Read 3425 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This  absolute vision of gorgeousness arrived today  :rah:  (Sue, don't look at the pictures, it's pink).
It's 9 1/2" (24cm approx) tall x 6" widest.  I think it has some bone ash content.  Mould blown with a fire polished rim, it's cased in clear with a thick casing at the base of the foot.  A wonderfully well made piece of glass and it's sits beautifully with my other opaline pieces.   The colour is the same as my Bohemian glass bowl in the photo.  I think it could be Bohemian, but the mould mark on the base is very similar to other Italian pieces I have.  Any other thoughts on country of origin would be very much appreciated.  Many thanks.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Gorgeous colour!  I had one in a mustard colour quite a long time ago, posted here,  and if memory serves me right, it was thought to be most probably Empoli.  I'll see if I can find the thread...
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
At least I was warned, thanks, m! :-*
I can't help thinking the bottle thing needs a long stopper, with a head on top of it (and that the neck of it would be easy to grab hold of if using it as a weapon..... :tsk: ) it looks like a petticoat - the other thing reminds me of wild west movie barmaids' underwear - all in all, it's very, very underwear-y. But not in my colours.

I agree Anne, Empoli would be a very good place to start.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I wouldn't rule out Bohemia/Czechoslovakia either unless Anne's was the same shape and had a cased base like yours. The base is fairly standard mould blown effect.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Haven't found the link yet, but here's my version of your vase http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass011.jpg
I no longer have it unfortunately.  I dropped it.  It didn't bounce :-X
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Sad, Anne - that's much more my sort of colour.
Nothing like Michael's Mum's bloomers.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Directoire-Knickers-Pink-bloomers-/280623266368?pt=UK_Women_s_Underwear_Design_2&hash=item4156733a40
They're like this, but in heavy brushed cotton - sweat shirt material - and much, much bigger.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Anne thanks!  I'm going to do a trawl through threads to see if I can find it.  Yours looks to be exactly the same mould.  It didn't have a white interior did it?  Just checking - Mine hasn't and the glass is quite translucent at the body bit, i.e. with light behind it you can see through it just.  I'm still not convinced on the Empoli/Italian attribution (mind you, that's taking into account my limited knowledge and experience) because when I stand it with my Empoli pieces, whether white cased or not, it just doesn't seem to work. 
It does work with my opaline/opalescent pieces that are Bohemian.  When I saw it on the listing, my first thought on the photo was that it was probably Empoli.  However once I received it today, it just doesn't feel the same as my other vases somehow.  I can't explain it (and I'm probably wrong ::) ) but you know what I mean?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Hold your vase up to the light and see if there are any small holes in the pink please.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue, those knickers are revolting  :thud:  and I see what you mean about it looking like it needs a stopper, but there is no ground neck and in the person, it doesn't look like it needs one somehow.
 Christine no there are no small holes.  I've attached a pic of my coralene Kralik box that does have these holes for others reference.  I guess that is what you meant?
I'm not sure how to explain it but the glass on this pink vase is different to these orange pieces somehow. It's not like my (what I believe to be) Bohemian 'tango' glass bowl, nor is it like this little coralene box, nor is it like my two orange Empoli large vases both orange, nor is it like my red colour cased clear flower bowl  (which I also think is Bohemian).   All of those pieces are one colour cased in clear.  
It is very definitely the same kind of glass as the little amethyst rimmed pink bowl and another opaline Kralik piece that I have.  It's not a 'flat' colour, it has some sort of translucency about it and it has a mauvish hue at the edges like my little pink bowl, under light.  Of course this could all be to do with lighting and the way different colours of glass appear.  The only to explain it is that it is translucent rather than opaque  :spls:  it's just ....well....different.
Of course that doesn't make it Bohemian I know.  It could just as well be Italian I guess but the similarities to some Bohemian pieces I have are much greater than any to my Empoli pieces hence me wondering.
Edited to add - it is a bit too funky a design to be Bohemian though isn't it?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Have you seen my Kralik Knuckle vase? That's funky, so no yours is not too funky to be Bohemian.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36783.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand