No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 more thistle cane perthshire paperweights 2-1-1 formation no P cane  (Read 2665 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
just picked these up, very pretty little things. They have the central thistle cane (i now know this not just Deacons, thanks Alan)
They have a 2-1-1 formation with 8 twists.
No P cane or sticker or any other markings.
would sombody be kind enough to give me the PP number
many thanks (and i promise to but the perthshire book after the glass fair this weekend  ;D)
michelle
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/StrathearnPerthshire#5577680870211857458
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/StrathearnPerthshire#5577680907280455538

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: 2 more thistle cane perthshire paperweights 2-1-1 formation no P cane
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
Hi Michelle

I think these examples are John Deacons work! There are very similar ones available new at £14.40 from Paperweights Plus. (And yours don't appear to match any Perthshire designs I can spot in the book...)

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
Alan your a paperweight girls dream you really are  ;D, I will get the hang of this eventually.
michelle

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
When trying to work out whose thistle cane it is ... if it is in a surround of coloured canes then it is most likely to be John Deacons.

If, in addition to the thistle cane, the weight has canes that look very "coggy" and very tidy, with a neat star centre (as in the outer row of the blue weight and in an inner row in the pink weight), then that is extra evidence of it being by John.

If you see a weight that looks very similar to your blue and pink ones, but it has no thistle cane, then look for a "StK" or "StA" cane. These were also by John and were made as part of his "St Kilda" range.

But just to make sure it's not all so simple as it might seem ... note that the same "coggy" "star-centred" canes can also be found in some Caithness weights and many with an Edinburgh Crystal label or "E" signature cane. The reason is simply that John made canes of that type for Caithness at one time and Caithness used them in some of their own weights as well as the Edinburgh Crystal weights which they made on contract.

Oh yes, and if you see a weight with a label with a very similar thistle shape as its main logo, do not assume it is one of John's. It's very likely a Willie Manson piece from his "Scotia" period.
KevinH

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
Hi Michelle
just out of interest, take at this Perthshire weight on Ebay 110650081751 as it has a thisle cane in the centre
Dave

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
Hi Dave.    John Deacons did of course work for Perthshire, so the weight could easily be by the great man.   Right period I think.

Cheers

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
Perthshire weight ... has a thisle cane in the centre
Quite right. Thanks for pointing that one out, Dave. I forgot to mention in my earlier comments that Perthshire versions of Thistle canes also exist and can have coloured cane surrounds.

But al least, most (or is it all??) of the Perthshire weights with a thistle cane are also signed with a "P & date" cane and many will still have the label. So confusing them with weights from John's own studio is less likely.

And yes, Keith may be correct that a Perthsire weight may have been made by John Deacons - at least, up until the time he set up his own studio in 1978.

Sorry, Michelle, if this is getting a bit confusing. ;D
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
The whole problem stems from the various paperweight makers  lacksidaisical and unambitious attitude towards paperweight design.

When asked what they will put in the middle of the paperweight, the standard response was

"Thistle do"

i'll get my coat...............................
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand