No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear cased lavender opaline lamp with gold dust all over it  (Read 3474 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Clear cased lavender opaline lamp with gold dust all over it
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
I need some help on this one please.  I have been searching extensively and still have not a clue.
In total it is 14" (35.5cm) tall and the base is just nearly 4 1/4"(10.5cm ) wide.  It has a polished flat base.  Is it a Murano piece?

thanks for any guidance, it would be much appreciated   :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Clear cased lavender opaline lamp with gold dust all over it
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
Definitely Murano from the mid-century. Salviati did a few things using this color blown with gold, so it may be them. There are other possibilities. Maybe we'll be able to narrow them down by finding this type label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
thank you SO much Anita!   :sun:  I'll be off to have a look at labels and Salviati now.
I'd completely run out of where to look next.
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »
I looked for the label, but couldn't find one like it. My best guesses for the lamp would be Salviati, Barbini, or Fratelli Toso based on the color and style of the lamp. The label is most likely a generic paper one. Often these label types can be associated with one or a few companies. It is a lovely lamp. I love the color -- one of my favorites.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
thank you Anita.  I really appreciate your help :)

I'd not thought Salviati but had searched Barbini (colour) and Fratelli Toso (shape) but not found anything.  I shall have another trawl and see what I can come up with using those as searches.  My knowledge of Italian glass is just zero really apart from remembering things I've seen on here.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
Nice lamp isn't it, I tied that knot in the cable earlier today. ::)  I thought it would be harder to rewire if the cable got pushed into the body, I almost bought it but in the end decided not to (obviously!).

Are you following me around Michelle? ;D If you go to the next one (or Malvern), we could meet up for a :t:

John

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
Gorgeous lamp. The combination of the lavender and the gold foil work very well. I wonder if we should add AVeM to the list, although I think it's going to hard to attribute it to a specific maker as any of the top furnaces could have made it.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
thank you David  :)  I think so too. And thanks for adding to the list.  I love a search, so now I have a good few to investigate further.
John, I'm laughing as I type - Today is *my* local and I know you live much further away, so tis you who is following me  ;D  Actually a friend came down from Wales today to go with me - she bought more than I did  ::)  We went later than we should have, it took us hours to get in >:(  and I've become very choosy about what I buy it seems.  In fact I did buy a beautiful piece of Wye pottery there as well, so I came away very pleased.  Cafe talk now, but they announced today that the next one would be followed immediately the next day with the one in Malvern.  So either those dealers are going to be very busy and shattered over the two days, or there may be a better spread of people across them both.  I never go to Malvern.  I don't have the time (and my green pass is never that long ;D ) but happy to meet for a cuppa if we end up going to the same one again  :)
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
I did not buy anything there yesterday (apart from a cup of tea...), my discipline amazed me. :o
A friend did buy a Whitefriars Toby jug in blue, from the same seller who you bought the lamp base from, this is why I had time to have a good look at it and fiddle with the flex. It was one of two items that I saw that did tempt me but I have new 'rules' for buying. :cry:

The next flea there is towards the end of April, it would be great to catch up and maybe show off any purchases.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand