No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina vase (a bit too early for me)  (Read 1477 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Mdina vase (a bit too early for me)
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
Ooops how did I miss that  :-[
That busy thinking it was an unusual colour forgot to check it over, but it was only a couple of pounds and I did get a Whitefriars meadow nail head for £4 which made up for it ;D

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/122#5580970656650324834

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina vase (a bit too early for me)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
I don't think it's early-early, it's certainly post-Harris, it might be part of a range I think was designed by Dobson, but it would be much easier to tell if I could see an image of it with the light hitting the surface rather than coming through it.
The range has a yellow splodgy background, with trails of splodged orange over it - far more sophisticated than normal splodgy, given the trails themselves are splodged before being put on and marvered in before the final casing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
Hi Sue, did you look at all 6 photos?
Chris :sun:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
They're all against the light. If you want us to look at six photos you're better off telling us, though attaching them to the board itself four at a time would be even better.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Yes I did, Chris, they're all with the light coming through - I can't tell if the darker trailed bits are splodged trails - and the dark lines in it are something I've not seen in this range.
It's a stopperless pb, the shape fits with the period I'm thinking of, but possibly later too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
Hi, with respect I never asked what it was, I knew because it's signed, the reason I asked if you had looked at picture 2 was, 1 it's taken with the light from the side and is, on my Sony vaio laptop anyway a true reflection of the colour.
I actually do put a lot of effort into my photos (believe it or not )  :-[ but living in an old cottage the long narrow kitchen with a west facing window at the end is the only practical place, in the winter some days the light is on all day, the lounge is not practical small low windows on facing west and one facing north with huge tv and high backed sofa in front all beams and bricks and wooded floors and alcoves.
2 the whole point of the thread which no one as picked up on was beware when buying glass at car boots in the winter because when you get home and look at it you may just get a shock as I did hence again the question did you look at all the photos? because 2 and 6 clearly show a great stress crack running through the button top which nobody appeared to notice/comment on.
Thought the Picasa album was a good idea and pretty straight forward as it clearly shows the left and right arrows and says 1 of 6 and view all ? nothing more irritating in my opinion when there are 4 or 5 separate links in a thread and you have to open and close each one to see the photo, the main reason I use it is I can link as many photos as I want particularly good for eBay listing, plus the time factor I work 12 hour day and night shifts culminating in being out for 14 hours a day couple this with getting some sleep and time is a factor for me.
Chris :sun:
Edit.. more photos turned into a contortionist and managed to some photos with the light behind

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/123#5581295767371070434

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
I 'twigged' from your comments that there was a problem, so I looked at all the pictures (as I always do in a Picasa album when I see the numbers at the top and the arrows indicating there are more to see!) and spotted the crack, and thought "Awww!  Poor Chris!"   :cry: 

:hug: 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
I did see the big crack on the rim, but assumed you had too, Chris, so didn't bother to comment.

Photographing glass frequently does mean turning into a contortionist - you have to make the glass the feature!
I often find though, that if you lie the piece on it's side you can get improved lighting - it doesn't have to be standing up.
I was under the impression you wanted to know something about the period of production and/or the pattern given your title.

That new image with the light on the surface is much better (it's not from behind now!).
I can see there are red/brown streaky trails - not orange splodgy.

(red glass was turned brown by the addition of silver nitrate - hence the streaky two-tone effect)

Possibly a slightly experimental design - but I'd still say from the Dobson-in-charge period. :thup: :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »
You didn't actually say what you wanted Chris, and your headline says that the Mdina vase is a bit too early for you (said with my editor head on)  ;D

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
I think Chris meant he obviously got up too early (for a car boot sale?) and therefore didn't notice the damage!  Am I right, Chris?  ;) 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand