No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item  (Read 2785 times)

shugdens

Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:00:40 AM »
I loged into ebay after a few hours frumster heeby chat with the future Mrs Shugden & came back to 4 questions on a sudden huge rise of 58 watchers from 10 on a Mdina end of day sculpture. Not just that, its rocketed in price from £4.99 to about £28.

I, ve had a fair few of these and they usualy go for £10 this ones a bit larger & signed but nowt unusual apart from it being a bit large.

I cant see any convostaions on here about it so what do people recon to it? Can anyone see anything to why the excitement?

I may use this opertunity to sell the other rarer Mdina I have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350445689991&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »
It's larger than many but otherwise seems fairly normal. Sometimes there are sharp peaks in prices if a particular maker or object are highlighted on television but as I don't watch I don't know if that is a valid reason. I don't think the price is that out of the ordinary for a sculpture of that size.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
A piece of Mdina sculpture, albeit signed my Michael Harris, was on Antiques Roadshow last night, where Mark Hill described it as being worth about £700 or £800  :)
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »
........ and it was 'orrible!  :wsh:

(I don't often say that about anything by Michael Harris - I normally love anything he made/)

Shugdens, it's not an "end-of-day" piece - Michael used to make these as demonstrations/exhibitions for visitors to the studio who came to watch glassmaking "in action".
You say it's "fully signed" - no wonder folk are asking you questions  :thud:  I'd want to know if you mean it's signed by Michael Harris, or just marked (not signed) Mdina, and does it have a date?
Also, it's hard to tell from your image what colours are in it. Are there a cobalt blue streaks in the turquoise?
That would be an important feature.
(not criticising at all, just trying to help ;D)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

shugdens

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:33:49 PM »
Its fully signed because the other one I have listed is ''not at all signed'' ;D in fact the other ones base is flakeing. Ive given it a good buff up but its still not brilliant.

They must of charged it on mass after Antiques Roadshow as the number of watchers hasnt gone up much.

I think end of the day is the common term used for these at markets & auction houses, its what i always use. Only a expert would know otherwise. Its a term i'll have to keep useing to describe these as thats what avrage people use. I can always advise the true term later.

The other one now also has 33 watchers & is up to £11.00 I'm going to stick another Mdina vase on later instead of taking it to market.

shugdens

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
Most of the questions were about the signiture one was ''what is the signiture called'' I was tempted to be sarcastic & say hes called collin.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
What people want to know is exactly what the "signature" says. Fully signed is meaningless, especially when you have no picture of the mark. It is only a signature when the person who made it signed his or her name. Mdina or any other company name is just a mark not a signature.

shugdens

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
What people want to know is exactly what the "signature" says. Fully signed is meaningless, especially when you have no picture of the mark. It is only a signature when the person who made it signed his or her name. Mdina or any other company name is just a mark not a signature.
I'll not comment further.

Its a signiture signed my hand Mdina & 99.9 of the antiques traders I deal with would say the same.

shugdens

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
Actualy I've just looked at the big sculpture and it dont say Mdina it looks totaly diffrent???????????

The vase i was going to list is SIGNED Mdina & dated '82' but the big sculpture is a sqigle with what looks like an H in front

shugdens

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
No its not a Harris signiture its an unusual Mdina signiture unlike later ones. It has an extra 'arch' to the 'M' and the 'd' is less pronounsed the sest is a squiggle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand