No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item  (Read 2819 times)

shugdens

Re: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
I've revised it with a description of the Mdina signiture & added a link to this topic.

The 'flakeyness' of the second unsigned one is gone it wasnt the glass it was like a varnish someone at somepoint added.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
I think we've cracked it  :thud: It says Mdina. We are only trying to help. To a collector exactly what it says is very important. Mdina marks come in various styles because they have been done by numerous people over the years. Michael Harris signed things with his name and sometimes he merely marked items in his very distinctive script. There are also illegible scribbled signatures, which I think were during the Dobson period.

It's not the dealers you should be trying to please; it's the collectors. Get things right and your sales could improve.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
Adding an accurate photo of the base (for all pieces of glass for sale) to listings would help collectors decide what they would like to bid on. I think you are finding great pieces and presenting them to the buyers as well as possible could only help the seller and buyer. Ideally, ebay can be a great thing for sellers and collectors,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
I think we've cracked it  :thud: It says Mdina. We are only trying to help. To a collector exactly what it says is very important. Mdina marks come in various styles because they have been done by numerous people over the years. Michael Harris signed things with his name and sometimes he merely marked items in his very distinctive script. There are also illegible scribbled signatures, which I think were during the Dobson period.

It's not the dealers you should be trying to please; it's the collectors. Get things right and your sales could improve.

Because of our tenacity in trying to find out just exactly what is signed on the base you have also found out the piece is damaged thus saving you from further embarrassment in claiming the piece is in excellent condition which of course it isn't if it has a chip to the base.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
The piece is called a sculpture. That's the official name for it.
And I can't iterate hard enough that Mdina is the factory name, if that is all that is on the base, it is MARKED.
As well as the Mdina mark, some pieces are signed by Joseph Said, some by Eric Dobson, very few are signed by Michael Harris, normally these have "Mdina Glass, Malta" after his name. Often the ones with Said's or Dobson's signatures have a date.
A named artist signature adds a premium to the value.
End of day is a lousy term - I know it's been in use for a long time, but it's a misnomer and should be obliterated from the language.
Most of the things described as such, are things like friggers - apprentice pieces, made to show off their skills - not things made at the end of the day to "use up" glass. I don't believe it's neccessary to "use up" glass at the end of the day - it's probably a term coined by somebody who didn't have a clue what they were talking about!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
 :thup: to you Sue. 

Of course in an ideal world, the seller should be contacting all those who have bid so far on this vase, to explain the previously undisclosed chip on the base and give them an opportunity to withdraw their bid if condition is paramount to the bidders.

It's all very well adding an amendment to the listing, but how many bidders scroll down to see if there are amendments once they have put their bid on.  I know I don't.

As for the question of factory marks and designer signatures, it is of huge importance to know exactly what is on the base and whether a dealer or collector, the bidders or potential bidders have to know.  A generic statement that it is signed means nothing.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
Thanks, Emmi!

Shugdens - I was looking at your other listings and saw this pretty, pretty thing.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Victorian-Handpainted-Opalescent-Czech-Glass-Rimed-Bowl-/350446699191?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item51984042b7

Have you tested it with a UV light to see if it glows? It may contain uranuim, which would be a point well worth making!  :thup: :sm:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

shugdens

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
I'm one of those old school (though young) house clearance & general antique dealers who pretty much despise Ebay & all it reprisents. Though for a lot of us its a nessisery evil, its a massive time consuming nightmare and its a fricking pain to please people.
At the end sometimes its not worth it but I've about 1000 pieces of glass to shift & I'm trying not to put them on Ebay. This item could now cost me a day of work & a loss.
Adding photos costs money, listing costs, posting costs, then theres two lots of commision & at least 1 hours labour. Then if you get an unhappy buyer its just loss. If I was to end it now I'd of lost a days work of which I dont have many currently living in the west.

I'm lucky to of found a cash buyer of Mdina as I've about 15 pieces to clear & he'll visit my antiques stall. Anything to keep off Ebay.
Its a great shame that everyone on here is Ebay obbsessed & sees it as the only way to sell, words like ''serious seller'' ''happy buyers'' ''bidders'' are all focused on Ebay. I am a serious seller I do it for a living as as a registered company as have 2 generations of my family. B''H

You cant beat picking an item up & having a good descusion about it & agreeing on a price, thats serious selling & a happy buyer.
I'll stick to that till my dieing day B''H

shugdens

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
Thanks, Emmi!

Shugdens - I was looking at your other listings and saw this pretty, pretty thing.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Victorian-Handpainted-Opalescent-Czech-Glass-Rimed-Bowl-/350446699191?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item51984042b7

Have you tested it with a UV light to see if it glows? It may contain uranuim, which would be a point well worth making!  :thup: :sm:

That reminds me I've got to restore that n get its handle fixed up. I didnt think that kind of glass was UV reactive?

I've another 6-7 like thisat the moment, the painting on this & one I ebayed off the other week are the best I've seen for along time. The others I have arnt as good as this one but diffrent in there own ways. I dont know if the rest are Czeck though.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
It's surprising what things can contain Uranium. :sm:
That bowl may well do so. (I think I might be more surprised if it didn't.)

I really don't like ebay myself - but as I live half way up the east coast of Scotland, I can't get to Fairs and antiquey places and markets, there's very little around me, so I'm stuck with ebay.
And if you're buying through listing descriptions and only one photograph you need the correct information about the thing - otherwise it's a waste of everybody's time and effort and money - everybody is unhappy except the post office and the owners of ebay.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand