No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old drinking glass, flute, English victorian ?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
old drinking glass, flute, English victorian ?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
Hi all
I picked this glass up at the weekend, Its not normally the sort of thing i go for but rather liked it.
Im not great with drinking glasses but im assuming its English, the shape i think is a flute and i think its Victorian.. how did i do?
can anybody give me anymore info
It stands at 16cm tall 6.1cm rim diameter 6.6cm foot diameter
The base is slightly concave with a polished circular pontil mark. It does have good wear to the very outer edge.
many thanks
michelle
pictures 13 to 23
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/EarlyVictorianGlass#5583915198657692946

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: old drinking glass, flute, English victorian ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
OK.  I'll bite.
A panel-moulded ale glass c1790-1820, is my suggestion.
Very nice.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
Oh blimey, a bit older than what i thought then, georgian
thanks
michelle

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
Better wait for a proper expert   ;D

Is it my eyes, or is the glass slightly wonky?  My auntie has a couple of wonky Georgian wine glasses. It's apparently quite common from the days before proper lehrs. For some reason I prefer them like that!

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »
Thanks again Chris. Yes the mdiddle stem section is quite wonky almost bends in the middle of the stem.
Michelle

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:14 PM »
hello Michelle  -  nice find, and like Chris I will offer some thoughts by thinking out loud, since I'm certainly no expert ;D.
No folded foot  -  which although doesn't automatically take it out of the C18, is more inclined to make it early C19 (I would suggest)  -  Apparently, folded feet were created initially to assist with strengthening pieces made from soda glass  -  and when lead glass became more the norm, the fold was dispensed with.      Looking at this foot style I'd plump for 'domed and terraced'.   The ground/polished pontil mark was, I believe, a late C18 onwards characteristic, necessitated by the fact that feet became less domed, and therefore the snapped/rougth pontil mark needed to be 'ground away to avoid make the glass uneven when standing.
I believe that the bulge at the base of the bowl is described as a 'merese' - and below that is a single bladed knop, and the bowl is, I suggest, a 'flute' shape.   Because of these 'knops', I suggest that the method of making the glass is not 'drawn' - and that instead, this example has been made in at least two parts.   I would really hesitate to date this glass, but if really pushed would go more for the 1820 - 1830 period (still keeps you just Georgian).........however, the fact that the foot is wider than the bowl, is, in itself, an indicator of an earlier period  -  so that's another idea down the drain  -  and remember to look at the colour of the glass  -  is it greenish/grey, or quite white ish.   Try shining the UV torch at the piece and see if you pick up any manganese glow.     Having said all the above, we always have to remember that the Victorians were very good at copying every style ever made.   

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
Thanks Paul
Ive had a go with the UV light and on a white background nothing but on a black background i noticed a slight pale blue which i believe is a sign of lead ?? not sure if this makes any difference to dating it.
It is more a whitish grey, no hint of green at all
As i said completly in the dark when it comes to drinking glasses, just occasionally think 'that looks pretty and old, if its cheap i'll have it' and at 50p it won me over this time.
many thanks
michelle

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
strooth 50p  -  wot a bargin Michelle :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »
I will tell you a secret, that wasnt the biggest bargain on the stall, i also bought 7 X £5 coins, 1 silver proof £1 coin and a 1 once silver brittania £2 coin and this glass for £9.50 !!! i gave her a tenner and told her not to worry about the 50p change  :pb:
The lady who i bought them from said, its not like its real money they are just like tokens!!

michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
 :24: :24: well done you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand