No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help! CUT VASELINE GLASS TOOTHPICK Holder in metal frame  (Read 542 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Help! CUT VASELINE GLASS TOOTHPICK Holder in metal frame
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »
This piece is 2 3/4" outside height and inside height is 2 1/4 inches.  It meets the criteria of a toothpick holder (or possibly a match holder, but those are usually a little bit taller).  The outside of the glass has a simplistic cut style, with four cut circles, each with a six-sided design to separate the circles.  The top rim used to be silverplated, but most has worn off to show brass underneath.  There are remnants of plaster of paris under the top ring.  The base is not spelter/white pot metal, as a rare earth magnet will hold to it and stick (but not enough metal for the weight of a regular magnet to stay on without falling off).  The casting on the base is very ornate.  UPDATE:  it just came to me to try some silver polish and it polishes up nicely on the underside!  It might be coin silver?  with a small percentage of something that will attract a magnet?  It appears to be solid metal (not hollow) and made from a good casting, as I see no mold lines.  Any help as to a maker, region of manufacturer/country, time era, (anything!) would be helpful.  This is staying in my collection!  oh, the glass is just a tube and the bottom of the container is the top of the metal base. 

Dave
Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: Help! CUT VASELINE GLASS TOOTHPICK Holder in metal frame
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »
In looking at the metal base with a 5X loupe, there is a spot where a grinder might have nicked a foot, and I can see a top layer of silver and something brassy or bronze colored underneath.  The silver layer is thicker than EPNS, but is not solid silver.   What is that process called? Here is a close-up of the foot in question that shows the silver outer layer and the brass or bronze solid layer underneath.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand