No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars 9649... in Gold Full Lead Crystal  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Whitefriars 9649... in Gold Full Lead Crystal
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »
It's the right height/shape, although my eye is generally untrained when it comes to Whitefriars... but is it?

The catalogues I've seen only mention ruby and kingfisher colourways.  :?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Whitefriars 9649... in amber?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »
It looks good to me Nic, I can only work on gut-feel though, because I don't have access to all the catalogues, only my mental ones!   :wink:  :roll:  Looks exactly the same as the ruby example though.   :)
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
I've looked through the catalogues 1950-1980, and the ones that list this jug have it only available in blue and red, so I suppose if it is Whitefriars it could have been made for foreign markets - it's the most frequent explanation for uncatalogued colourways.

It's either that or fall back on the usual hysterical RARE EXPERIMENTAL WHITEFRIARS - WOW!!!  :wink:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:44:35 PM »
How do you tell the difference between a Whitefrairs jug and a polish jug?

The base is not always polished flat on Whitefriars. Is Whitefriars heavier or better quality? Are the ground pontils a certian size?

Also, the other day, A Ruby Whitefriars jug  - probably the same as this one - had a rough spot on the spout. Is this a fault that Whitefriars sometimes has? I've seen two Whitefriars jugs like this and it looked as if it had been ground down, but now i'm not sure. I know that some of the ducks beaks are ground down.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 11:15:33 PM »
Tiger, you get to recognise the patterns with Whitefriars, that's all, there's no trick to it.  Just a few years looking at stuff...if that's a trick!  :lol:

I've had one of these little beaky jugs that had a rough spot on the beak too.  I'd hazard a guess that it's just the manner in which they were finished off at that point.  I've also had little rough spots on handles.

With the duckies, it's usually obvious when their little beaks have been ground down.  Poor little mites.
I am not a man

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 11:21:45 PM »
Later WF Ducks were generally finished with a ground edge to the beak, earlier ducks tend to have a freer style and no grinding. The grinding is often mistaken for a repair but is how they left the factory. Jill Wainman's Duck site should have more details.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jillwainman/index.html

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
Oh, I forgot, for the folk who've not looked at the Is It Whitefriars? thread...

This jug is in the Gold Full Lead Crystal colourway, and it was most likely a one-off or a custom order and dates from between 1978-80. :)

Offline Ruby

• Members
Re: Whitefriars 9649... in amber?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
I know this seems a very late addition to this thread but in Australia these jugs, in what we call tangerine, are seen from time to time. Perhaps they were made for the Australian market. Just as thought.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Whitefriars 9649... in Gold Full Lead Crystal
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
I bet a bottle of Booze its Whitefriars probably blown by Ray Annenberg he was very good at jugs and handles . I was in a posh Antique shop with Ray about 12 years ago there was one of these in ruby described as a Victorian claret jug Ray politely told the vendor that it wasnt Victorian the irate vendor said i know my glass its my speciality Ray replied calmly and i know my glass i made it . it was still there several months later still described as Victorian . Ho HUM . Ray wears well for a Victorian Gent . ;D ::)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Whitefriars 9649... in Gold Full Lead Crystal
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
Nice story JP!   :hiclp:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia