No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Why do I always struggle with Mdina?  (Read 677 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Why do I always struggle with Mdina?
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
I know loads were made and still are and a lot is quite 'samey' is that a word?
Every now and again I pick a piece that looks a little different from the 'norm' this paperweight below had it for ages
Couldn't give it away despite in my opinion it seemed a little different.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/SIGNEDMDINAPAPERWEIGHT#5566884468490113522

Picked this up a few weeks ago thought it had a lot going it for it and thought it would do well struggled to sell with 1 bid

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/209#5572458642345358690

This lovely bowl again a little different but after 3 attempts sold again one bidder with little interest.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/MDINAGLASSBOWLGOODCOLOURS#5558322662942058322

Which brings me round to this one seen loads in 'wishy washy' colours then see one like this which to me as loads going for it but will still probably sit there with the others only to be given away to friends or returned to whence it came Lol

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/MdinaDump#5588784877647507042

I appreciate the fish vases and the early signed stuff sell well but it sure is hard work with most of the rest.
Chris :sun:
P.s normally have a good eye for a bargain and can spot a good W/f, Murano, Scandi, Hartley Wood piece from 100 yard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Why do I always struggle with Mdina?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
That is a perfectly adequate description of the Caithness syndrome.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
Thanks Ivo that was going to be my next question  ;D

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
Chris, my personal, unqualified probably, opinion is that there has been a lot of talk about the rare pieces of Mdina and therefore many people strive to just purchase or find the rare pieces.  In doing so, they forget that there is a lot of very beautiful Mdina out there regardless of who made it or how old.  They also don't realise that there are few makers in my opinion (apart from studios perhaps), that make multicoloured glass in fab shapes and in more accessible quantities/costs.  Therefore by not buying more contemporary, or a wider range of, Mdina they are missing out on some fun and gorgeous pieces perhaps because it feels less 'special' because there are so many pieces (and I do think that is the Caithness syndrome)?
 Think of all the seahorses and paperweight that are out there and listed.  It kind of swamps the other pieces in a way.  I look at most Mdina pieces and think they are beautiful because of the colours/shapes etc.  I recently sold my jug.  I am pretty sure there wont be another out there very like that one.  It had a gorgeous rim and was beautifully made, lovely colour, but not a lot of action going on in the glass to be fair.  It sold for a lot less than I thought it would, and I had to list it twice (payment to counteract the two pieces I have bought recently).
I also think there is so much Mdina around that people are able to 'collect' types or colours or era, which then means that pieces that fall outside of those 'collecting' areas lose out.  I have various pieces now and do have a small collection of one type.  But I know that at the moment I would struggle to sell any from that collection so I've not listed the one I want to sell in order to buy something else.  It's not dissimilar to Whitefriars is it though?  in that the textured pieces (generalising here) seem to be the ones that command the high prices whereas the more elegant sophisticated earlier pieces seem to command much less - as I said, that  is a generalisation but you get my drift.  Again I've just sold a vase that went for £8.50. Not a lot for a very beautiful piece of glass which weighed a ton and was very elegant.  Had it been Finnish mould blown  it would have sold for a lot more.
Perhaps it's just the market's peaks and troughs though?
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
Thank you  for taking the time m, a well thought out common sense reply which was very much appreciated.
Chris

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »
Hi Chris join the club , i know how you feel i just cant understand the market i had a Miloslava Ssslllobodovababa piece on this week a Galaxy bowl , i was told the bowls were rare and saught after , not one bid at 25 pound starting price . I sold a similar one a couple of yearsxago that didnt do well either .Spellcheck cheers me up it said Miloslava should read Looseleaf but the surname was OK . :24: :24: :24:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Bowls are rarely as popular as vases, I know they tend to take up a little more space but is that the only reason?  :huh:

As to Mdina Chris, anyone interested in the later stuff generally has plenty to choose from, The Harris period items are much thinner on the ground. Saying that, I thought both your paperweights are nice examples but perhaps they are not in the most popular colours.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
yes just to add to John, I also thought the paperweights were particularly gorgeous - is the little handled one listed at the moment Chris?  If so can I have the no please?
thanks
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
Thanks John, for your informative opinion always welcome, shows what I know though 'cos I bought them because of the colour, in particular the gold bubbles.
Hi if you eMail me I will gladly let you know my eBay details. No problem with anyone promoting themselves on here it's just something I don't do.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand