No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: KB Ltd Decanter damage question  (Read 569 times)

Offline Fen

• Members
KB Ltd Decanter damage question
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »
This is nothing more than a decanter picked up amongst a large cage of different glass I purchased at my local auction house. I didn't give it a second glance or thought but now I find I'm fascinated by the "damage" at the bottom. There is circular damage to the base but absolutely no sign of either glue repair or that it ever went completely through the glass. It's actually an indentation which you can run your finger around and there are numerous other indentations, but definately not scratches as they are completely smooth. The base has ripples circulating out from the centre and nothing other than K B Ltd and, underneath, the number 6. Could it be some sort of manufacturing second? Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: KB Ltd Decanter damage question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
They just look like moulding flaws to me, not damage.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
I'd call that a bottle, as it is made in a bottle mould and has bottle markings. The circular mark is indeed the closing of the bottom plate, so at least you know it was made in an old fashioned machine not a modern one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fen

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Thanks both - Ahh... a bottle, would the KB stand for Kilner Brothers, do you think. Any ideas on what this sort of bottle would have contained?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand