No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Bell Jar Identification Help  (Read 502 times)

Offline blake77

• Members
Unusual Bell Jar Identification Help
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:25 AM »
   I found an unusual antique Bell Jar or Cloche about two months ago and so far have not been able to find any information about it. It's very different from the usual all glass domes with glass handle you see quite often.
   The glass bell portion of the jar jar measures 3-1/4" tall, 1-1/2" in diameter at base and the flared lip measures 2-3/4" in diameter. The glass at the lip is 1/4" thick and the glass portion is like an inverted cup with a full glass bottom.  
   Instead of having a glass handle or knob, attached to the glass bottom is a 1-1/2" in diameter by 1/4" thick cast iron disc with a 1" in diameter cast iron ball handle in the center. Added all together the jar measures 5" tall to the top of the ball. Here are photos:

Bell Jar showing cast iron top

Bottom of Bell Jar showing flared lip and thickness of glass.

Any ideas as to age and/or maker would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Blake

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Unusual Bell Jar Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi Blake, can you see how the iron handle is attached to the glass?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline blake77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »
Great question! On close inspection I realized I had missed a couple things. The interior bottom of the glass to the cast iron top is 1/2" thick. In other words the glass bottom itself is 1/2" thick. Under magnification I can make out the words "Made" and "USA" if there was also the word "IN" I believe I would be able to see it but there is no evidence of any other markings. The cast iron portion appears to be attached with either a very clear glue or a splodge of molten glass. It's not a solid or symetrical connection but rather like a ring of something viscous that was placed on the bottom of the jar and then spread out due to the pressure of the two pieces being pressed together.
  Please let me know if this helps.

Thank you!

Yours, Blake

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
HI Blake, thanks for that info.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is a 'Heath Robinson' piece made by an enthusiastic DIYer for a purpose only they knew the use for??

It is small for a cloche / bell jar, but wonder if it was concocted to be heavy in order to possibly trap something....a scorpion or something like that??  I am thinking outside the box here!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »
Some kind of unconventional votive candle snuffer?
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand