No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112302 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »
Blimey, Sue's playing Chance gin rummy!   :lol:  :lol:

I got a wavy edge white lace on clear, with gilt rim.  New in box with Fiesta Glass sticker and 'British Manufacture' sticker.  Not sure that's terribly exciting though...lol  (£1.25!)
I am not a man

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
This is my latest buy - couple of hours ago.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/a013.jpg

Only £1  :!:  and couldn't resist it.  Its in pristine condition.  See what you've started David :twisted:  :roll:  

I did see another piece of glass that might/not be Chance.  It was a happy anniversary greeting thingymajig - it was just a curved rectangle that stood upright, with screen printed back.  That one didn't ding my bell, so it stayed where it was 8)

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »
:D:D:D

I think you were quite right to leave the "card" thing where it was, Anne!

David seems to have found out that Fiesta Ware is Chance, but Fiesta Glass is later and is all the anniversay sort of stuff, and came along with Michael Joseph's takeover.

Same family of glass, different generation!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »
Quote from: "Sue"
A few weeks ago I picked up in a local charity shop (and bought!) a triangular, clear, smoky-grey, float-slumped tit-bit dish......

Realised I didn't answer this properly: it could very well be Grey Dawn but it might be difficult to differentiate between this and anything Joseph Joseph made unless it has a pattern!

"Royal Bride" which is a garland of pink

Thanks Sue, one I haven't had mention of before - can you stop now? :D

If possible I wuuldn't mind a photo of the label at some stage, for the web site. This pattern could be post-Chance, of course.

Quote from: "Max"
I got a wavy edge white lace on clear, with gilt rim. New in box with Fiesta Glass sticker and 'British Manufacture' sticker. Not sure that's terribly exciting though...lol (£1.25!)

Could be very interesting. If it's Lace (and not Filigree, 1971) then this confirms the continuence of manufacture for over 30 years of this pattern - Lace is the first, in 1951! Good find though. I'm pretty sure the 'Fiesta Glass' label was used after Chance closed. Those 'Brit' stickers also have a habit of falling off as well, so take care.

Only £1  and couldn't resist it. Its in pristine condition. See what you've started David  

Who, me? The very idea! :roll:

Not sure which pattern this is, but could be post-Chance - Fiesta Glass Ltd. started in 1981-on. The photo frame (for that's what it sounds like) might also be post-Chance, but I need to confirm this.

P.S. Sue, you beat me to it, re. Fiestaware and Fiesta Glass Ltd
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
:D:shock::D

The box with the royal bride stuff is one of the mesh/fishnet stockings pattern, which I think is still Fiesta Ware or Chance. Fiesta Glass all seems to come in self-coloured boxes.

Did you notice the frisson of spiciness I introduced? (Well, anything seems spicy after these pink flowery things!)

Any ideas about which royal bride it might be? liz, mags, annie?

I believe being Mrs Spike Milligan could be a very difficult thing to be, but not as hard as it was to be Spike Milligan. May he rest in peace. He brought untold joy to many.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
This is my latest buy - couple of hours ago.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/a013.jpg

Looks like my Dahlia plate :)

Quote from: "Anne E.B."
it was just a curved rectangle that stood upright, with screen printed back.

I saw one yesterday in Keswick. They may be Chance but I think they are much later. I remember seeing these appear in the shops in the 80's. I think they are still on sale in card shops etc. aren't they?

Quote from: "Dencill"
Oh, my cousin's husband's first cousin is Mrs Spike Milligan (the third, and last one)

Now there's a claim to fame!  :shock:  :roll:  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2006, 05:42:32 PM »
Any ideas about which royal bride it might be? liz, mags, annie?

Certainly not the first two, but could also be Fergie or Di, I suppose. Commemorative ware doesn't seem to have been made until much later (Silver & Gold Wedding, c.1980, for example)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2006, 06:11:10 PM »
Could be very interesting. If it's Lace (and not Filigree, 1971) then this confirms the continuence of manufacture for over 30 years of this pattern - Lace is the first, in 1951! Good find though. I'm pretty sure the 'Fiesta Glass' label was used after Chance closed. Those 'Brit' stickers also have a habit of falling off as well, so take care

The pattern on my new Fiesta Glass plate (with British Manufacture sticker) is exactly the same pattern as my plate with the lace in black.

http://i1.tinypic.com/nbve4y.jpg   :D

PS:  The green background is paper in the bottom of the box.  :wink:
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »
:D:D:D

I don't think the royal bride pattern is commemorative ware as such, it's an actual pattern, nothing commemorative is written on it. Also, the glass seems quite thin, and the commemorative stuff doesn't, but that's just an impression I'm developing. I think some earlier stuff may be thicker, but only early might be thin????......

OOOOhhh for a camera!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »
The pattern on my new Fiesta Glass plate (with British Manufacture sticker) is exactly the same pattern as my plate with the lace in black.

:shock: Definitely a good buy. That's confirmation of a good 30 year life span for one pattern. Unusual box as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand