No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112489 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2006, 05:13:10 PM »
Cut Pearl is a wonderful, evocative name for Emmi's intaglio set!   :D

I got some Swirl dishes in the post today (in original box).  I don't usually bother with Swirl anymore, but these looked exceptionally well made...er...and they were dead cheap.  :oops:

Excuse me, cos I've got a mental block, but are the little oblong 'snack' dishes usually compressed/squashed at the sides?  I could go and check, but I've only just packed all my Chance into boxes again..and it's in Spider Heaven..the shed!  :shock:  :x

Here's a link to look at: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1134
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2006, 05:32:53 PM »
Thanks for the name to go with my intaglio set David., and congratulations on all the hard intensive work you are doing on the website.  It seems it will be a never ending work in progress but worth it.  It is really fascinating - you should make all the Antiques magazines aware of its existence - so when they do features on Chance glass, they have something good and reliable to refer to for reference and should give you a lot of hits. I am so impressed by its quality and content.  And thanks too, to all of this forum's members who have contributed in such a generous way to help collate the info.  So, so good to see such a community spirit.
Regards Emmi

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Post subject
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:51 PM »
Quote from: "vidrioguapo"
Thanks for the name to go with my intaglio set David., and congratulations on all the hard intensive work you are doing on the website.

Thanks for the kind words Emmi. The problem I have about making the site too public is that all the research (and misteaks!  :lol:) are conducting live and online. Admittedly these are getting ironed out in quick time, there are probably still a few gremlins waiting to bit me in the bum! :lol:

I can only echo what you say about the co-operation and spirit from fellow members on the board giving me the opportunity to glue it all together. Also the speed in which everything came together is staggering: I first started research this on 21st January. The power of the Internet! :shock:

Max: You can never have enough Swirl! I agre about the names as well: but some of the Handkerchief vases were also officially named: CORDON for the basic pinstripe, for example.

You're also right about Pilkington. Some time ago Nippon Glass took a 20% stake in the company, but they have now bought it outright.

Sue: I have a standard redirection set up on the new home page for technical reasons, but I could alter this if you continue having problems - not got a virus have you?

There are a few 'fruity' patterns around but I still haven't got around to cataloguing them yet.

A few more revelations:
1. The orange 'Sunburst' pattern (also in turquoise) is not Chance, but made by Dema (examples seen with label).
2. The pattern Rosebud is actually called 'Royal Bride', so that one can be eliminated.
3. A new pattern uncovered called 'Elegance' - I have a colour photocopy.
4. There appears to be a Thistle pattern.

Note these last two came out very close to the end of Chance, so are probably quite scarce!

I now have a complete list of the entire collection of Maggie Tyrrell, who kindly forwarded it this morning... along with a large Night Sky tray! :oops: The generosity of some people is simply amazing :) :o ... I also got a large Waverley fruit bowl all the way from the USA for nothing so will make a donation to Acorns on Sharon's behalf to match the postage cost.

You may be interested to learn that this entire collection (about 4,000 pieces, I believe) has been bought by Michael Joseph (of Fiesta Glass) for the purpose of starting a permanent museum in Smethwick.

That's all folks!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2006, 10:23:30 PM »
Hi all,

One thing has been bugging me. The 1974 catalogue from Boots mentions them selling a Chance 'Lotus' pattern "Fluted Plate" (it cost £1.13, incidentally).

But I can't seem to locate any mention of this (in much the same way that 'Columbine' proved elusive). However, I'm wondering if the pattern I call 'Trippy Flower' does resemble a lotus flower? :?

The good news is that I believe all the floral patterns are now identified apart from this one. :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2006, 11:16:26 PM »
David, it does in a way. Lotus is similar to a water lily - with big flat lily pad leaves (the sort frogs enjoy basking on). It's as close to lotus as the canterbury pattern was to canterbury bells. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »
Thanks Anne.

My only thought is that I can't find mention anywhere amongst my literature about a Lotus pattern. But according to the Boots archivist the catalogue quite specifically states this was sourced from Chance. At a guess it is probably a rebadged Chance item made exclusively for them.

I thought I was going mad and they'd reintroduced the Lotus pressed glass pattern :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline biomedbabe

• Members
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »
:D
Hi everyone, I have just Chanced across this site and I think I have died and gone to heaven!
I have been a Chance collector for a couple of years now and have been searching for a site to help me-and here it is!
Am still working my way through the posts and looking at all the pictures.i keep spotting items like mine.

I am interested in any info on the Hellenic/vine pattern. I have a few items in this,but info is scarce.I have a huge plate, about 13 inches across with a grape pattern and greek figures around.Does anyone have any info on this?Will try to post some pics but not very good on computers.

Liz

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2006, 10:39:19 AM »
Hi Liz, and welcome to the discussion.

The plate you describe is also from the 'Hellenic' range, which is available in two patterns. I think there may also be a version with a blue background as well.

According to Lesley Jackson's 20th Century Factory Glass (and printed elsewhere) the pattern "based on drawings of ancient Greek vases by Ebbe Suneson." and adapted by Robert Berrington (sic, or 'Barrington'). The pattern is known to have been introduced in 1961, although at present there's no data on when it was finally withdrawn.

I am currently compiling a cross-reference of all patterns and shapes, so any information you have would be most welcome.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »
Two pieces of matching gilt edge Britannia bought last week in Helston.
The milk/cream jug is 4" high max. and the bowl 2.5" high and 5.25" diameter.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Chance012.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Chance015.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Chance017.jpg

Yellow Rose? (or wild rose)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Chance006.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Chance020.jpg

Another piece of advertising/corporate glass which I thought might have been Chance, proved not to be as it was screen printed on the top and not underneath :roll:
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2006, 01:04:23 PM »
Two pieces of matching gilt edge Britannia bought last week in Helston.
Very nice examples, Anne. These are from the 'De Luxe' range, c.1950, as shown by the ivory enamelled inserts. I'll plonk these in the Pressed Glass topic.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4240.0.html

Yellow Rose? (or wild rose)
Neither! :lol: This is Mermaid Rose and was the very first pattern do be produced. IMHO, not the best example of the floral pattern! :?  :roll:

I believe this is the last floral pattern to be identified, apart from the Bouquet and Summer ranges that feature four separate patterns.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand