No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112318 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Glacier Fruit Set
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
Finally... I have a full Glacier set comprising six dessert bowls and a fruit bowl. It even came with the original printed carton, although a little bent so I'd like to try and straighten this a little before photographing.

You can see the piccies on the Fiestaware > Patterns > Pictorial page
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2006, 03:13:53 AM »
David

I have placed photos of two more pieces of glass I found this week one is a small dish with a pattern of a spray of flowers in white outline (Graphic ?) and the other is Filegrana Handcrafted Glassware I mentioned these in my last reply. on the gold label there is a logo of a kiwi and the tiny print reads NEW ZEALAND MADE.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this one. Also it will stack perfectly in side a known Chance piece I have.

Tony H in NZ

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #382 on: June 17, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »
Hi Tony,

Some more puzzles from down under!  :?  :wink:

I suspect this originated from Unionglas in Bavaria under the 'Filigran' label and were rebadged 'Filegran' by the importer, which would explain the Kiwi logo. Why it states 'Made in NZ' is something of a mystery unless there is/was a bent glass producer in your country.

The scene does look more like an English one than Bavarian, although the maker could have used a stock item from the transfer suppliers.

The graphic floral plate is also probably from the Filigran range and does look similar to designs we have seen before. Finding this in NZ might very well support the theory that Unionglas imported there.

Following is a scan from the Filigran catalogue showing the variation of Swirl. Note the similarity of the fluted edges.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2329
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #383 on: June 17, 2006, 09:55:14 AM »
David

Here is a link to one of my pieces.

http://www.encill.abelalways.co.uk/chanceglass/photos/flora_pattern/q-rose.jpg

The Filegrana river scene and this one stack together like they are the same, could this have been decorated here in NZ as the New Zealand Made rules are quite strict. All though the label is not like any of the official ones.

Here is a web site all about New Zealand made    http://www.buynz.org.nz/

Tony H in NZ

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #384 on: June 17, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
Quote from: "Tony H"
David

Here is a link to one of my pieces.

Yes, I'm using this photo to query the pattern - it's at the top of the Floral page. Not one I've seen before, but could be a Fiesta Glass pattern. I assumed it was OK to use this?

The Filegrana river scene and this one stack together like they are the same, could this have been decorated here in NZ as the New Zealand Made rules are quite strict. All though the label is not like any of the official ones.

Unless it referred to the label being made in NZ? :D But with them stacking so readily this does suggest the same mould/manufacturer.

But it is possible for a company based there to have made 'bent glass' products. They could have purchased glass blanks and transfers from outside suppliers and then 'slumped' the glass and fixed the transfers in a furnace.

Here is a web site all about New Zealand made    http://www.buynz.org.nz/

Many thanks, I note the logo is quite similar.

I'd welcome anyone else's comments.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »
My latest purchase :shock:  :oops:
A Summer Melody cake stand - no good for large muffins though :? 7 inch (18 cm) top and 8.25 inch (21 cm) bottom

Click to enlarge

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2006, 03:34:57 PM »
David

I bought this today with you in mind - you were well worth 50p, I thought.  :wink:  :lol:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2364

It's a Hellenic long tray with three indentations, there's a couple of very small slivers missing unfortunately.  I tried Searching to see if you'd had this tray already, but with 36 pages to search through, I gave up!

The photo is bad because it's my mini-digital camera, I can take a better one tomorrow if you're interested.   :)
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #387 on: June 22, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »
Nice find, Max! There's one point about the Hellenic pattern (two varieties BTW): you don't see it very often. Not many people have woken up to this fact and you'll rarely see examples on eBay, but Tony Cartwright did tell me recently it was not a very popular pattern, so it wouldn't have lasted long.

The other variety effectively reversed the vine and grapes pattern to the outer rim and used just two(?) silhouetted Greek figures in the centre. Personally I prefer the green version myself.

I have a suspicion there's also a blue version of this style, but I only remember seeing this when I wasn't really looking for Chance glass particularly, so it might have been me dreaming  :roll:  :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »
David - what do you think about this 2½" square piece?  Just this sec. bought it whilst popping to corner shop can you believe!?  A neighbour was having a garage sale, and well, I couldn't resist - and there it was. :roll:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc971.jpg
The transfer is on the underside.  I would imagine it to be written in Danish.  I've had porcelain Langelinie plates in the past but this is the first glass one I've seen.
 :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2006, 10:11:07 AM »
Hi Anne,

It's not a known Chance shape, but that doesn't mean it wasn't by them.

The sculpture is a well-known icon of Denmark, but I can't think what it's called - also has a humorous nickname * Can anyone jog my memory?

* A bit like Birmingham's own sculpture of a nude in a fountain righout outside the Town Hall, which is nicknamed "Floozy in a Jacuzzi"  :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand