No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lalique in need of repair  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Lalique in need of repair
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »
looking at pic. No. 1 you don't see the problem  -  but then, oh, what a shame :cry:  -  not that I cud have afforded it had the damage not been there.  The charity shop knew what they had, and I did pay a lot of money despite the damage  -  but just couldn't come home without it.   My wife is still not talking to me.
You can see the signature on the base rim  -  plus the No., and I've been told it dates to something like the mid 1920's,  -  although don't see a picture of it in my one and only book on Lalique  -  the pattern looks like thistles, I think  -  grateful if anyone is able to let me know the correct name.    I'm assuming it's opalescent, and believe it is a pressed piece, as you can see four mould marks on the neck.
Since I obviously need to dis-assemble the three pieces (and re-construct using modern clear glue) - what is the best way to go about dissolving the original glue which I am thinking is non water based.     Do I need a solvent of some description, and if so, which is best  -  or is there another way to go about the job.      Height is about 213mm.         Undamaged, this is a substantially valuable piece, so I need to take time and have patience with the repair, and look forward to any suggestions.   Thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Lalique in need of repair
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
Well spotted Paul,I'd have snapped it up also,can't find it in my book but it says that type of mark dates from 1914 onwards :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;D,
once you've got the bad glue off there are good glass glues that are 'invisible' when dry,
                                                                                          Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
What a lovely Lalique piece Paul, and well worth the trouble it will take to effect a good repair.  Please will you let us see it when it is fixed so we can admire your handywork please?
I think you are right about it being thistles.... or could be cardoons!!
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »
Great find, even with the damage. Pattern is 'Domremy', no. 979, designed c. 1926. To remove the old glue you might have to use acetone, though some glues will come off with meths. Unless you know what glue was originally used, it comes down to trial and error as to what's best to get rid of it. The worst case scenario is if it's been stuck with an epoxy resin as that can be a nightmare to get rid of...

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Just crossed with you Mosquito!!!

Thought you might like to look at the Millers Guide page Paul.
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/127462/early-20th-century-domremy/
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
sincere thanks to all, and will come back to your helpful replies tomorrow when I will have more time.    cheers. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Try nail varnish remover Paul, if nothing else works maybe paintstripper would be worth a go but you will need to wear rubber gloves.

John

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »
Paul, I used your email icon to send you an email but it did not work......

Send me an email from my icon and I can make a suggestion for your repair.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
Paul, I would seriously consider getting someone like Basil Loveridge to deal with this lovely piece for you!  I had a previously broken and badly repaired piece of glass, and Basil removed all the old yellow glue and repaired it virtually invisibly, even though tiny chips and slivers of glass were missing from the break.  Since this vase is potentially quite valuable I would be tempted to give the removal of old glue and re-repair job to an expert! 
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
thanks again to all for your very helpful suggestions etc., also for the name and date of this particular pattern. :)    I doubt that this will be a 'quick fix', but promise to post pics. of the repaired/restored vase when job is completed.             John, can say that I look very good in yellow Marigold's ;D
Craig...don't know why your communication failed  -  however, I will send an email to you now, and thanks for offer of assistance.
Leni  -  I appreciatey your comments  -  although am presently still at the early stages of considering exactly which route to take i.e.  d.i.y.  or professional help.   Are his details on the webb??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand