No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lalique in need of repair  (Read 2156 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Lalique in need of repair
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
 :huh:

The "thistles" look much more like teasels to me, despite the Miller's Guide saying thistles too.
I think I'd go the professional route for repair if it were mine, I'd only want it for selling on - much as though I love opalescent glass, this doesn't say anything to me but "potential profit" >:D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
thanks Sue  -  I suspect my rather poor and hurried picture has not done justice to the botanical accuracy of the vase design :)      Teasels (certainly English ones ;D) have a much more elongated flower head than thistles, which on this vase are shown quite globular.      I don't sell my glass (or at least I haven't yet - but life is unpredictable) and tend to keep all the good pieces, and since I don't have any Lalique, then will be very keen to keep this one  -  nicely back-lit in a cabinet.     Whilst I appreciate that this sort of opalescent material is not eveyone's cup of tea, the 'deco' period is my all time favourite era for art and design, so guess that does influence my decision. :)   Think I'd throw out one or two other pieces before I chucked this one - just think of the soul in this vase  -  when it was made, the designer, etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Definately Thistles Paul, and I would keep this one,  it is be-oooooo-tiful and I am green with envy.  :mrgreen:
Reair it, (yourself, if you covet the satisfaction of it being all your own work) keep it and love it.

Art Deco era is one of my favourites,  in fact it was green art deco glass that started me on the 'glass-o-hollik' trail.

You will always glow when you see it in the back-lit cabinet.

I hope we will all get to see it when the job is done. :X:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
 :sc:
But thistles have flared out tufts at the top, Paul - (put the scotsman smilie upside down and you'll have a thistle shape.. :sm: ). The prickles on teasels are the same as the ones in this piece (I've just checked my vase of Spanish teasels, sadly, no leaves remain on them - they were picked and brought home over 45 years ago) and my garden thistles are not mature enough to check yet.
Botanicals aside - it's great you've got an "example" you like for your own pleasure.  :thup:

(my "ultimate" bit of opalescent is a big, chunky-textured Barolac "forest" vase. Don't know the name of the design. Lalique just doesn't tend to float my boat.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Hi Sue,  you have to enlarge the picture to see that the thistles do have wee tufty pieces at the top,  but they are very stylised.....
I've just been reading a thread about the Barolac Forest vase on GMB...what a lovely piece. My biggest, nicest piece is a big oblong slant sided Barolac bowl called Butterflies.  I love it. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
 >:D

I shall put the lack of thistleiness down to Lalique's "artistic" license.....  :P :wsh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »
Sue.....no sweetie  -  you're just not looking properly at the picture  -  there are indeed wee  little hairy projections out of the top of the flower head  -  and anyway the leaves are quite different from teasel leaves.   Apparently, the teasel is absent from the north of your country.   Far too cold I shouldn't wonder  :24: >:D :wsh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
 :24:

They (teasels) certainly managed to protest about travelling this far north - they brought their own bodyguard!
Mother had insisted Dad picked a whole load of them in Spain, they were sitting on top of all the high shelf bit over the engine at the very back of the VW dormobile we were travelling in. As we unloaded from the boat in Southampton, my ghastly wee brother shouted with glee, "Sue, there's a massive spider behind you!". Naturally, I didn't believe him, but looked anyway.
There it sat, almost on my shoulder, body the size of a ping-pong ball, brown with white spots, great long legs, black and white, like a zebra crossing.
Poor dad had to stop the VW, get out and grab the thing. Sadly he didn't think to preserve it to find out what it was - he did manage to squash it in tons of paper towel.

I spent the rest of the 500 mile journey sitting on a wooden box between the front seats, terrified it had had babies in the back.  :ooh:

Anyway, we digress (sorry mods).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand