No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID for Czech Art Glass Rose Bowl  (Read 1187 times)

Offline quailman

• Members
Help with ID for Czech Art Glass Rose Bowl
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
Hello fellow glass collectors.  I recently purchased this art glass hair receiver.  It's unmarked, but the style sure looks like it was made in Czechoslovakia, possibly during the early 1900's.  I've seen a similar looking design on Pallme-Konig pieces.  Are there any experts out there who can help me make a more definitive ID?  Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Help with ID for Czech Art Glass Hair Receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »
 Hi there and Welcome  :rah:

Looks like it is Czech to me (but that is a guess).  I am sure you have a FINE piece of glass there -- and I am sure there are members hee that will give you a positive ID soon, and know more than me......as I would guess KRALIK, or WELZ, or others ??

Great Piece, I think !!!!  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:13:24 AM »
Think Rose may be right(and welcome) it does resemble PK but I think it might be Kralik although I can't find that particular pattern,nice piece ;D
p.s,what's a hair receiver?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »
I think it is a rose bowl, not a hair receiver though  :)
Keith I think once women had brushed their hair, in Victorian times, the hair from the brush was kept to be used to make hairpieces or rings/bracelets or put in a locket or whatever.  The 'hair receiver' was on their dressing table, a small bowl/receptacle to place the hair from the brush.
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »
I think it is a rose bowl, not a hair receiver though  :)
Keith I think once women had brushed their hair, in Victorian times, the hair from the brush was kept to be used to make hairpieces or rings/bracelets or put in a locket or whatever.  The 'hair receiver' was on their dressing table, a small bowl/receptacle to place the hair from the brush.
m

I never knew that either -- Gee, I throw mine out  ;D
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline quailman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »
Hello All.  Thanks for the replies so far.  I forgot to mention that it's a rather large piece that measures approximately 6 1/2" wide and 5 1/2" tall.  I called it a hair receiver because I saw an identically shaped Loetz piece (supposedly) listed for auction that was called a hair receiver.  I'm still hoping a Czech glass expert will weigh in on the subject and provide some additional information.  Thanks again!

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the board....  It is Czech for sure.....  Most likely Kralik, but it could also be Welz....  The metal piece used on it, commonly referred to stateside as a flower frog was manufactured by a separate company that supplied several houses with metal. I have seen this floral pattern metal piece like this on both Kralik and some Welz pieces, but who knows if the Welz pieces were replacements or not....

I will look to see if I have some pieces in the same shape in a recognizable decor that points to one house or the other....  My gut says it is a Kralik piece though....

Craig

PS... I shave mine, and it all goes down the drain in the shower......   :thup:   No need to dirty up some nice glass with dead hair!!   ;D
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline quailman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
Hello again folks.  I've been doing a little more research and I've found several other pieces with identical flower frog lids that were attributed to Kralik.  Since Craig mentioned that a separate firm created the metal lids for several companies, this doesn't mean much all by itself.  However, my online searches have also revealed more photos of similarly shaped rose bowls attributed to Kralik than any other company.  The threaded portion of the design appears common in Kralik and Pallme-Konig pieces, but I read that it was rare for P-K pieces to be ground at the top for metal lids.  As a result of your kind input and my further research, my current verdict is:  a Kralik rose bowl with a flower frog lid.  Any more ideas are welcome and appreciated.  The only thing that bothers me a bit is that I haven't seen any other Kralik pieces with the splatter (spotted) treatment observed on this piece.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

Mike   :hiclp:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
The base decor without the threading is in a color combination which by itself would lead me to Welz as the house, that is why I mentioned both.  An identical shaped and sized piece would be what one would need for a solid attribution, and we need to be careful there.....

It is coming to light that many pieces of glass previously attributed in the market place and some museums  to Kralik are actually pieces by Welz, and research on that subject is quite young and ongoing.....

If I had to make a hard choice on who did it, and I do not think we have strong enough evidence yet to do so, I would say it was Welz production..... The colors and decor lean that direction.... 

but I state again.... there is not enough evidence to nail it down at this point...... Most likely one of those two houses.....  but which one remains to be seen....

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
Would it be possible to get an image of the piece directly from the side that shows the whole profile of the piece including the foot or base? 

Thanks, Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand