No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl with two size of bubbles and aqua inclusions  (Read 1086 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Bowl with two size of bubbles and aqua inclusions
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:23:35 AM »
I was talking to the person I bought the piece in this thread from (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40104.0.html) and he said he had another, similar piece that he bought at the same time. There are a bunch of similarities (two size of bubbles, coloured inclusions, the same concave ground out pontil mark, and lots of wear on the rim of the base). There are differences, too. The new piece is a little darker, heavier, has streaks of colour in it where the inclusions have not been distributed evenly, and also some darker inclusions as well as the aqua. It weighs 1.76 kg, and is 12 cm tall and 18 cm wide at the mouth.

I looked through the WMF book for a similar shape, hoping to establish that the first one was a Dexel egg, but couldn't see anything similar. Of coure, I ended up buying it, as it's very nice piece, whatever it is.

Any thoughts welcomed. TIA.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Bowl with two size of bubbles and aqua inclusions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43:32 AM »
Interesting bowl, David. It appears to share a few characteristics with Barovier & Toso's efeso. The color inclusions looks like they are oxidized and not fused with the base glass. If some of the bubbles and the bowl were larger, I would wonder if it was B&T. It looks like it may be the same technique, maybe not taken to the same extreme?? I don't know enough about the technique to say anything concrete.

You are getting a nice bubble collection. :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:36:35 AM »
Looks mucho like my Johansfors Bengt Orup square bowl from 1967 with oxide inclusions, the photo of which went AWOL.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
I've got a few pieces by Orup, including the some of the Stromboli/Cinder line for Johansfors (photo 1) and Hyllinge (photos 2 & 4). The oxide inclusions are much darker and the only colour I've seen is this green in the Hyllinge one. Is there a blue version? I've looked at some of my other Orup pieces, too, and it's not Studio, although it looks closer to Spontana (photo 3), which is probably the one you meant as it was 1967. My Spontana has stronger colours and small bubbles only. It's worth looking at other Spontana pieces, though, so something to investigate.

Thanks.

P.S. I should add that, as Anita suggests, I have quite a few bubble/inclusion pieces, including Plus, Magnor, Randsfjordglass, Ekenas, and this is a little different from them all. Is WMF out of the question?

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
Are you sure the two pieces in the two threads are made by the same manufacturer?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
Paul:

No, I'm not sure they're by the same manufacturer, although the person I bought them from thought so. As I pointed out, there are a number of differences as well as a number of similarities. If I had found the shape in the WMF book, I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand