No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A quick question when did Sowerby introduce the colour Rosalin covered swan  (Read 632 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
A quick question when did Sowerby introduce the colour Rosalin and did they use it in Victorian times, having a bit of banter about a Sowerby covered swan. Would the 1880 one have the peacock mark and kite mark and be produced in rosalin thanks Mark

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
One quick way to tell if a swan is early or not is whether there is a gap between the neck and the lid. Newer ones didn't have this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bungie60

• Members
Yes i know that Christine its like i said surely the 1880 to 1883 would have the kite mark also the pre 1930 ones the peacock head mark. Which Sowerby used on all but the cheapest items of glass. And i may be wrong but was rosalin first used around the 1920's. ? thanks Christine yours Mark

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
1880s colours seem to be the opaque ones and vaseline, gold, ruby and opalescent. The 1927 catalogue has coloured goods in ruby and Sunglow (iridised). The 1933 catalogue includes Rosalin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand