No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Sharing): Vaseline Glass castor set: 10 years to compete it!  (Read 672 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
I started on this set at least 10 years ago when I bought the first shaker. This set usually comes with 4 different colored bottles: one each of clear, vaseline, blue, and amber. However, the colors can vary, i.e. a cruet or a base can be found in any of the 4 colors. The 2 shakers and the mustard are all the same mold, with interchangeable tops, so that was not tough. I had to buy a complete set in 2007 just to get a vaseline cruet bottle (but the base I got was amber). This past week (on eBay), there was a complete set in vaseline, but the shaker/mustard bottles all had condition problems. The vaseline cruet and base were in great shape. The metal work also was suffering on the all-vaseline set. By combining the parts, I was able to get an almost pristine set, all in vaseline glass!

This was made by O'Hara Glass Co., LTD, between 1884-1888, and was their #500 pattern. It is generally called COLUMN BLOCK and sometimes PANEL & STAR (depending on the reference book). It is a small set, but all of the bottles are pretty thick. Height to the top of the 'T' handle is 7 1/2". A Shaker bottle is 4" to the top of the metal and each piece is 1 5/8" in diameter. There are other castor sets that include vaseline glass, but have an all metal frame. There are some small Belmont sets that have 2 shakers and a mustard with a glass base, but I think this is the only Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG) 4-bottle set that can be obtained with a vaseline glass base on it.

Mr. Vaseline Glass
(Dave Peterson)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: (Sharing): Vaseline Glass castor set: 10 years to compete it!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
Hi Dave,  :hi:  how wonderful that all your patience paid off.....it looks a very lovely set. :)
Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: (Sharing): Vaseline Glass castor set: 10 years to compete it!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
That's fabulous! :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:
and wow!  that's patience.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand