No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown peices  (Read 943 times)

Offline xxDallasxx

• Members
Unknown peices
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
I hope someone can help me here as I am going 'google' trying to find something even similar to the pieces which I was left
by an elderly relative some time ago.
I can post pictures of them but I's like to know if anyone had heard of what I think is 'Cobalt Blue' Vase and basket (with 2 handles almost meeting at top.)

I have seen similar glass wise but the difficult part is - these pieces are what appear to be what I think is silver encrusted with a chain surround, also with turquoise pieces, again with chain surround.
They definitely are a pair, the basket has what appears to be a crack on the base, but after reading up on Glass I have found that this is normal.
The Vase (what I think is a vase) again has what appears to be a snapped off piece of glass on the base, again I found this to be normal.
I have searched high and low for initials or marks but cannot find any.   

The reason I am asking this is I had a cold caller looking to buy 'Old furniture etc' who offered me 100 GBP for it.
This started me thinking that
No 1 - It must be worth more.
No 2 - What is it and where did it come from.

As I've said I have searched high and low and cannot find anything even remotely similar.

It did come from a wealthy relative but I have had it for so long, I really have never given it a second thought until that visit.
All I can say for certain is it is a really dark blue, the two pieces definitely come as a pair as they are adorned the same,
Does anyone know of anyone who decorates this glass to this extent?

I will post pictures just to show you shortly

Thanking you in anticipation,
xxDallasxx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unknown peices
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
Welcome to the board. We would love to try and help but won't be able to without pictures. Here is some help. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html Use high resolution pictures but resize them so that the longest dimension is 700 pixels. Base shots are essential along with dimensions. You can post four pictures per reply; if you need more, reply to yourself on the thread.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline xxDallasxx

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »
Sorry for the delay with my reply,
Attached are 4 pics of the pair,
There is no visible marks that I can see at all.
The Vase is app 28cm (11")
The Basket is app 18cm (72")
I have included pics of the bottoms which appear strange (to me) as the Basket has what looks like a slash mark on the bottom and the Vase has a razor sharp jutting out piece of glass.  It appears strange as there is not even a scratch anywhere else on the pieces, if it is not a makers mark, then I am left bewildered as to why they are there.  I have tried to include the pattern on what I am calling silver (but I could be wrong)

Any information received would be gratefully received.
 :X:
Thank you once again.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »
Hi Dallas, the bases have what are called Pontil Marks on them.  This is where the glass is attatched to a Pontil iron whilst it is being blown or formed.  I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come along to explain more,  but essentially it shows that these are hand made and not machine made.   I have never seen anything like these pieces before, but I am certain someone on the Board will have and be able to throw more light on them.
Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
They look Turkish or from somewhere similar. The base marks are what are known as pontil marks (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontil_mark. A close enough description, though inaccurate in that it suggests that only fully hand blown items have pontil marks).

If the metal is silver, the value might lie in the metal rather than the items themselves, but I don't really know anything about stuff like this.

Offline xxDallasxx

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
Thank you for all your time and help anyway, looks like it will remain a mystery but the pattern definitely appears Eastern, I was thinking along the lines of the Caribbean,   
Thank you so much for your time anyways x

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
Hey Dallas, don't give up, there are loads of others out there who might just know exactly where these were made and even by whom. 

Sometimes it takes a little while for everyone to see the posting, and you only put the pictures on view today.

Hang on to your hat,  you never know!! :X:

Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline xxDallasxx

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »
Many thanks Rosie,

I've been away googling half of Turkey by now x smile's x
But I will keep checking in, never knew there was just so many types and kinds of glass, Jesus!
You've your work cut out for you here LoL

Thanks again hun

Love
x Dallas x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand