No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need some help dating a mdina bowl please or a range???  (Read 559 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Need some help dating a mdina bowl please or a range???
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
Hi Thanks for looking its a signed shallow fruit bowl i think with predominantly yellow and orange colourings in the glass ive not seen that much in mainly yellow and havent a clue if its made yesterday or old can any body help identify a pattern or age please nearly forgot its 3" tall and 8" wide thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Need some help dating a mdina bowl please or a range???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
The shape is known as a Verdala dish, having first been made for the Verdala Hotel in Rabat. That colouring of yellow and orange is generally one of the harder to find variations, date, looking at the signature I guess late 70's or 80's.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
Oh thank you very much for the information john would this of been made when harris was there or after he left mdina incidently i bought another vase from the same stall today which i think is a piece of isle of wight glass both were £15 each i didnt have a clue whether it was a good price or not at the time i do like trying to buy pieces as cheap as possible but they both just looked great with the lighting!!!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »
Harris left in 1972, so this would have been made after he left. Good price for the dish but for me a better price for the IoW pink and blue swirls vase.

So where did you buy them then? >:D

John

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Thanks again john  :wsh: north wales

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »
The antique centres are taking a hit down up here at the moment everbody doing the family stuf over bank holidays not buying from them but that seems like its been good for me if you ever get up wrexham way theres one or two centres worth a look .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
John,  :hi:
I believe this range is from the period Dobson was in charge - after Michael Harris left, but before Said took over in '75. It's far more sophisticated than post- '75 splodgy stuff - there is a background of acidy yellow splodges, but the orange splodges are part of the "painterly" clear trailing which has been worked over into the main body.
Both yellow and orange are very difficult colours to work. They tend to misbehave.

It is fairly hard to find - most of it turns up in Germany, which was one of the first countries Mdina exported to.

:sm: I tend to describe this as the "intestines" pattern.  :sc:

I rather like it and have a small collection. The paperweights are large and hollow.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »
Hi thanks anybody know what sort of price i might achieve on ebay for such a thing?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand