No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible W/Fs saphire vase.  (Read 1051 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: possible W/Fs saphire vase.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:22 PM »
yes :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »
Paul, your blue vase is nice, could it be Orrefors? Maybe? And ........ :24: surprised you spelt Sapphire with just one "P" in the title..........you being so perfect in everyway usually  :24:...........it's been driving me crazy since I first saw it!  Perhaps just a "typo" huh?  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
No problem Chris :)
Emmi..........do you know I believed genuinely that was the correct spelling of sapphire - I never gave it a thought it might be otherwise ....oh what a dunce :pb:....it's one of those words that, ordinarily, I never need to spell.      Thanks for pointing out my mistake - I guess we all have our blind spot, and you remember the maxim..........'people who don't make mistakes don't make anything'  -  so I don't feel too bad. :angel:    In fact it's all the fault of those ancient Greeks from whom who stole the word, apparently.   My blue vase is so nice you should offer to buy it at an exorbitant price :24:    But seriously, thanks for the suggestion re Orrefors - although I don't have too much data on that output, so will need to ferret around for some images etc.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Just had the following reply back from Orrefors:.................

""Can you find any signature in the bottom of the vase?    I cannot find any when looking at the picture. Orrefors has used signature for quite some time and so has Kosta.
It could be Orrefors but it might as well have been made somewhere else. I am sorry not being able to help you.     Best regards""

It's true, of course, about the Nos. and signatures on their pieces  -  you only have to look in some of the books and webb sites.      Unfortunately, the smallish flat base area on this one is so well worn and scratched that it's virtually impossible to detect if there was ever anything there, although I sense some vestige would have remained had it been done originally.   Would be great if all Nos. and signatures were put within the concave pontil.

I will now try the V. & A. in London, so  :X:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
just had a reply from the Ceramics and Glass section of the V. & A. (London) - and they have indicated that they unable to find an exact match.   However, they have drawn my attention to similar shaped pieces from W/Fs., designed by Tom Hill, as being very similar (think this was what I had in mind originally when purchased - although appears not now to be connected).    So guess will have to leave this for the moment, as needs further thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand