No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for gold/amber decanter.  (Read 353 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for gold/amber decanter.
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »
I've had one like this before, and actually gave it away (think that one was minus its stopper).     Feels a quality piece, with a very nice (and large) ground/polished pontil and matching Nos. on the stopper and body (just inside the neck), and the stopper is hollow.   Optically moulded and with a slight spiral/twist.     Doesn't seem to hae any age - can't see any wear at all on the base, so a bit mystified.    Height is something like 9.5"/240mm.    All thoughts gratefully received, and as usual thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: id request for gold/amber decanter.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
Well Paul i have had a pair for at least 25 years , in the early days thought they were Whitefriars but Ray Annenberg thinks not , they are often sold as W/Fs , i even have one in clear glass with many glasses and Sundae bowls just like the W/Fs ones , i am still in two minds . There was an amber set with six glasses on ebay in the last week or two advertised as Webb ? Only ever seen the one in clear .
PS The edge to edge pontil on yours does make Webb look possible .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for gold/amber decanter.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
thanks jp.     In fact I think my picture is a little misleading - the pontil is not really edge to edge, quite large but not that big.   Re the reference to W/Fs., and yes I had heard that also, but didn't want to say so, as I have made some errors in that department in recent times.    Webb's is a possibility, and I do know that Stuart produced some very large pontil marks.    Anyway, seems the jury is remains undecided.    thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand