No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: George Elliot Bewdley does anybody know about his marks?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
George Elliot Bewdley does anybody know about his marks?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
Hi,I just had a good car boot find this weekend and bought a lovely squat vase,etched/signed 'George Elliot Bewdley' ,and there is another small mark that I am unsure of,it's like a 1 with a horizontal line underneath it and another 1 below the line,and there is also a semi circle below,joining the ends of the horizontal line .I am finding it difficult to find anything online about the marks he used,the only other pieces I have seen have not had this extra symbol !.Has anyone else seen anything like it?.
I do have photos,but struggle to attach them as I seem to be incapable of re-sizing my photos which are too big for this site!.
Thank you very much!, Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: George Elliot Bewdley does anybody know about his marks?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
Chris you can try this method which I use all the time :-

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager - simply because it is there and easy to use.  My photos typically start at 4300Kb.  I CROP off stuff that is irrelevant leaving a border around the item, and save the result with a different name.  I then resize so that the maximum dimension is below 1000 and SAVE the result and check the size now( this is because I wish to be able to post it a a later stage to http://www.glassphotographs.com/ an associated site which has size limits of 200Kb and a maximum dimension <1000).  To check the size all I need to do is place the cursor on the saved photo.   If the result is not smaller than 200Kb I keep resizing and saving(this time under the same name) until it falls just below 200Kb in size, at which point I SAVE AS again as "GMB xxxxxxxxxxx" so I know I can post it successfully to the GMB when I am finished.  Finally I shrink this new file to a size just below 125Kb using as many resizings and saves as necessary - and now I can post it as large as possible.  Some people use 3rd party sites or even their own site to post images.

Hope that is of use to you.

Ross

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
Hi Chris,

A little bit of info on George Elliot in the link below, although doesn't mention anything about his signature or marks.

The pieces I have seen normally have his name fully signed to the base along with the year.  I've attached another link of one of his Goblets, currently for sale on ebay, there's a clear picture of his signature in one of the photos. Along with his name and date there also appears to be an anchor mark, or something similar.

Greg

http://www.glass-routes.com/elliot.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Studio-Glass-Goblet-George-Elliot-Bewdley-1977-/290447138074?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item439fff9d1a

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
I have a George Elliott vase signed George Elliott and then Worcs Bewdley (at least that is what I think it says) but no date and no anchor.
Interested to see your piece  :rah:
m

Offline cmdg

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
Yes, it is just that Anchor mark,like the on the goblet currently on ebay,I saw the goblet but had not noticed all the photographs!,so thanks for pointing them out!.
If anyone can advise me about resizing my photographs I would really appreciate it.I tried all the various 'help' buttons but they were too difficult for me and after nearly 2 hours of attempts I gave up!.! and I can't keep asking Anne to re-size them as I'm sure that she is busy enough!.

I also have a large white opaline vase with scene in black (I hink it is transfer printed but not quite sure yet) on both sides and the vase has a brass/ormolu rim around the top, but maybe I should start another 'new topic' for that one later!.
Thank you very much!....

Offline cmdg

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
Hi Ross, thank you,I'll try it and if you see I've added some photos,then it worked!!!.
Best wishes,Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Cropping if required and then resizing so that the maximum dimension is 700 pixels usually gives a good result in two steps.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »
If you download and use Irfanview to crop & resize as per Christine's instructions above, then you pretty much can't go wrong.

Offline cmdg

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »
Thank you......Well, I have tried again for ages!, but no joy as yet,I don't seem to have the needed software, and not the Microsoft Office Picture Manager,I use Picture Project which I think I got when I bought my camera (a Nikon Coolpix 5600).Last night I tried a lot of different methods,but just could not find a way to to it,I was able to crop the pics,and reduce them a bit,but nothing else I tried worked.I have looked at various 'Help' options on Windows etc, but........it is a real nuisance as it puts me off using the message board as much as I would like to,because adding photographs is usually really necessary.
Anyway,my next chance is through my son,I've emailed him the photo's and he is going to resize them on his laptop,that has the software, and then send them back to me,hopefully then I'll be able to show everyone this lovely piece of glass by George Elliot and maybe I can find out a little about it then!.
I'll also be able to put up a new topic about this opaline vase/urn I have, but that'll have to wait for now!.
Thanks again,Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
i-fun viewer ( http://www.xequte.com/other/other.html#ifun ) is a free download and easy to use for picture resizing. I like it better than irfanview

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand