No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unica vase-need confirmation please.. ID = Leerdam  (Read 2884 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Unica vase-need confirmation please.. ID = Leerdam
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
Greetings oh learned ones, I have now returned to NZ and started to unwrap my purchases, one of which is this UNICA vase- a large one of 35cm high and a diameter of 15cm- absolutely filthy though. My question is what does V609 or g stand for. I can make out on the bottom the following- F ? RDAM UNICA    AD dofier so I assume it is Leerdam AD Copier- any yays or nays would be useful. If you would like more pics I will try- as stated before- it is filthy and I don't as yet have my cleaning gear with me-only so much you can stuff into a motel room!!
regards from Carol ( :rah: :rah: in NZ)
Carolglass

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Unica vase-need confirmation please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
I would say yay!!  :rah:  Lucky you Carol......I LOVE Leerdam Glass!

Here is a similar one with the 'foot'. Of course it isn't quite the same.

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/a-leerdam-unica-grey-smoked-glass-bottle-vase,-56-c-5e6e5f6649

Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »
V is the year letter for 1943 when he made no less then 1273 unica. Number 609 must have been made in June. And here is what the rest of the world was doing at the time. http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/1943.htm   
The unica made during the war years are not considered the most exciting ones which reflects on their value - which is still considerable.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
Rosie, many thanks for your kind comments, Ivo you are a star, thank you so much for the information and the other part of your post . It is sobering to think of the conditions in the world at that time.
regards from a now wet and windy NZ
Carolglass

Offline NKP

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »
V is the year letter for 1943 when he made no less then 1273 unica. Number 609 must have been made in June. And here is what the rest of the world was doing at the time. http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/1943.htm 

... at least he could still work at that time. In 1944 he had to go into hiding and his house was blown up ... :-X

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »
Why on earth?  :huh:

Carolyn

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
Presumably because Holland in 1944 was not a nice place to be. Was he Jewish?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
He was not.
The south part of Holland was liberated in 1944, the northern part had to wait until May 1945.  Leerdam managed to work all through the war and was supplied with electricity long after the rest of the country went dark. Leerdam were important suppliers of food containers to the Germans. The war is best not mentioned at all, lest something unsavoury fall out of the closet. And as for "had to go into hiding", I have yet to hear from whom.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
Many thanks for all the information regarding the Unica Vase- I have finally had a clean and retrieved all the tissues I stuffed down- still not clean enough but the photos are much better. The stuff that came out of it was perplexing to say the least- office staples and fishing line and perished rubber bands!!!
For your enjoyment......
I am thrilled with it and don't want to put it away just yet.
regards from a very damp New Zealand   Carol
Carolglass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand