No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina penguin?  (Read 488 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Mdina penguin?
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
Linked this from whitefriars.com
Poster asking if it could be a Boffo penguin, with my limited knowledge could it possibility be Mdina?

http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=9794

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina penguin?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »
Mmm, saw that earlier Chris and wondered. They did use splodgy white like that at Mdina so perhaps but it doesn't quite 'feel right', if I can say that in a wishy washy non commital kind of way. More detailed photos might be useful.

John

Here is a vase in blue and white: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wonderful-Mdina-Art-Glass-Blue-White-Globe-Vase-/370513565691?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item56445457fb

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
I will take some more pics in the light but here is one I took earlier. Any help gratefully received.
Steve

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
How tall are these penguins?
I can't see anything yet that would make me say not Mdina. I don't know much about penguins or this later Mdina stuff though.  :nogos:

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
 :hi:
I still do not know what dates Boffo worked at MDG, or exactly when he left Mdina (it may have been just a matter of months after MH left, we really don't know.)

Wolfie did say, a year or so back, he'd ask Mick Rayner if he knew, but he's not got back about it.  :huh:

However, I'm of the opinion that MDG was probably long gone by '75 - it didn't last long.
The (lack of) colour white and splodgy stuff wasn't introduced at Mdina until said Said took over in ~ '75 (although he didn't have ownership until later).

This would put any notion of white and splodgy in conjunction with Boffo at Mdina out the window as far as I'm concerned, and MDG didn't use white, and that is completely the wrong shade of blue for MDG.
It looks like late Mdina blue, if it has anything to do with Mdina at all.

Phoenician Glass have done a lot of penguins with splodgy fronts.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand