No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with initials please - photo now posted  (Read 2931 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Help with initials please - photo now posted
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:28:31 PM »
Do the initials F.M. mean anything to anybody...sorry don't have photo but have just seen a nice piece of glass with these leters etched into the base?
there was also a date - a bit unclear - but thought to be 1984? Thanks Emmi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »
Fratelli Marcolin, Ronnby, Sweden
or (if you're lucky)
Floris Meijdam

awaiting further details

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:04:45 PM »
Emmi — My first thought was the obvious one, Fabrique en Murano.   Haanstra suggests Marcolin Art Glass of Ronneby, Sweden (1962–94), who used the signatures FM Ronneby and FM Konstglas.

You should really have a copy of Ivo Haanstra's excellent book, Miller's glass fact file, a–z.   It is only £7.99, and is by far the most accessible and comprehensive instant general reference available.    It is always in my pocket or bag when I go buying.   My one complaint about it is that the margins are not large enough for the pencilled notes I always add to my books, but then, I suppose, it would not fit my pocket.

Hope that helps,

Bernard C.  8)

Oops, I see Ivo got in first.   Sorry, Ivo.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:29:30 PM »
:D:D:D

We do need a piccie!

For a short while, a couple of glassmakers, Steven Foster and Ian MacDonald were working together under the name of Glass FM. They'd won the scholarship to use the facilities at Broadhurst House Museum. That was within the last 5 years, so '84 might rule them out!

I saw Ian MacDonald at the last Cambridge fair, on his own, so I don't know if they're still working together or not. :?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
Sue — thanks.   I knew the initials sounded familiar.    Glass FM produced my fastest ever selling studio glass.    I bought three pieces from them after a visit to Broadfield House, and watching them work.    All their glass on display was unsigned, but I told them that I do not buy studio glass unless it is either instantly recognisable or fully signed, so they signed and dated my purchases.    I sold all three, first sale, next fair.

Bernard C.  8)

ps — never call anyone an "expert".   An "ex" is a has-been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.  :lol:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »
Here goes...rushed back to shop for photo - have also got the book  on me normally, but this morning was harrassed by getting road tax etc and forgot both book and camera!!! Let's hope my IT skills are working today...

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2iqdk.jpg" alt="Image hosting by TinyPic">

I had hoped this might have been a piece of Whitefriars cullet, but found the F.M. initials...so thought I'd seek some help first.. thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 09:49:24 AM »

Well, it's a FAB piece, I don't think it's Glass FM though!

Bernard, I'm so-ooo pleased you were impressed by them! I was down south for the Birmingham fair a few years ago, went to Broadfield house on the Saturday, and spent a lovely afternoon watching them work. I bought a couple of pieces too. With the second piece - (I'd gone running back for it, being in a dilemma - fair tomorrow, lovely contemporary glass today, and a budget. Thankfully, the contemporary glass won.) I spoke to a chap, to ask where to pay for it, and he said he could take the money, I asked who made it, he grinned and said that he had, would I like him to sign it for me - well he didn't need to ask twice! That was Stephen Foster.

I bought a piece from Ian MacDonald at the last fair, but it wasn't until I got home that I realised it was him, so if he's at the fair coming, I shall have to apologise for not recognising him! (but I still loved the glass!)

:twisted:  By your definition, Bernard, I should be referring to the creep who tricked me into matrimony as an expert, but it's far too nice-sounding a word. :lol:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:03:15 PM »
Oh thanks...I had hoped the photo would have now brought in an ID?  Pleease can someone help now there's something to look at.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 01:33:13 PM »
I think we need Ivo or Bill Geary for this one - very Scandanavian/Dutch/Finnish sort of feel about it. :mrgreen:

Iittala did use a system of marking some pieces with just the designer's initials. I've got a Tapio Wirkkala decanter marked just "WK". Checking the Iittala designer's site, there's nobody FM.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »
Sue — Thank you for bringing me up to date with Glass FM.   I am delighted that Stephen Foster and Ian MacDonald have both built upon the opportunity they had with the Broadfield House scholarship.   I am fairly certain that my purchase from them was my first ever foray into contemporary British studio glass.   I remember explaining the whole scenario to my buyer, and pointing out that the glass was not only good value in its own right, but these pieces had the potential to be early works by established artists.   Also I remember the shapes not being very exciting, but the colours and textures being quite amazing.

Would you be so kind as to introduce me to Stephen Foster and/or Ian MacDonald at the forthcoming Cambridge glass fair?    It would be nice to catch up with what these artists are doing today.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand