No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Humble Mdina dump  (Read 617 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Humble Mdina dump
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Presume it's Mdina? it's unmarked loads going off colours wise, can understand why a lot of the Mdina pieces go unsold but cannot understand why the more interesting pieces seem so underrated and don't seem to receive much interest either?
Sorry so many photos just trying show the colours in different angles so took loads and the delete is not working :sun:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/MdinaDump2#

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Humble Mdina dump
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:37 AM »
Yes that's a Mdina. I like this colourway.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
Thanks Christine
Chris :sun:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
I like it too. How big is it, Chris?
I'm particularly fond of the really massive door-stop ones - 5.5" tall, weighing about 5lbs, but they only seem to come in Tiger and, occassionally, Earthtones. The biggest ones I've seen in this Tortoiseshell pattern are a "pair" I have, weighing 3.75 lbs each, 4.75" tall, just over 4" wide.

Folk are mostly simply too scared to trust their guts when buying stuff.
Go to any art exhibition - and watch what happens - as soon as one person gets their red sticker on a painting, suddenly the rest of the audience get interested in that artist's work - mostly in the sold bit!
Folk want stuff that's signed or marked, or easily recognisable as being a certain something. They need other folk's approval of their choice, they simply don't have the courage of their own convictions.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Thanks Sue, it's only the small one I'm  afraid around 3.75" but has I said loads 'going off' inside it the streak going into the top looks for all the world like a germinated seed, you know  Sue if I put it on eBay for a fiver that's probably all it will make sad innit I know it's probably wrong to say because we all have different tastes but I can think of a lot worse things to spend a fiver on.
Never been a better time to start collecting as they say :)
Chris

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »
Each piece of Mdina is unique, to collect it, you should be taking each piece on it's own merits, go with your guts and get it if you like it.

The collecting market is still at the stage of "fish vases and crizzle stones", recognisable pieces with a reputation for being "the things to have" - although I'm pleased to say, the massive amethyst strapped attenuated bottles are joining this group - but they are probably more scarce than crizzle stones.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand