No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh Walsh? uranium amber iridescent compote  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Walsh Walsh? uranium amber iridescent compote
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
I found this beautiful compote in iridescent uranium amber. Thin high-lead-content crystal with a beautiful ring and a glow to light up a room under UV. 24 rib dip mould. Unmarked and with a rough pontil mark (the ? issue). 8.25 in diameter and 5.25 in tall. I would say it was from the late 1920/early 1930s Walsh Walsh iridescent range. Does anyone agree?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh Walsh? uranium amber iridescent compote
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Pity it's unmarked as that would help with the dating.   You don't mention Eric Reynolds book, so don't know if you are using this as a reference source.  The book, unfortuntely, doesn't say if this amber was produced in uranium, just says that ...'the popular colours were amber and a plain butterfuly blue' (with iridescent finish)'.   Having said all that, it does look 'right' for your suggestion - the book doesn't carry a picture of this shape, and although Reynolds is a little vague on the date for this particular product, something like mid 1920to about 1932 seems o.k.   A very good find by the way, and I might suggest a rare piece. :mrgreen:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
Well we know Walsh used uranium and yes I did look in Reynolds and Manley (who shows a yellow iridescent piece he says contains uranium along with a couple of other yellow pieces, though I think he uses the term Vesta Venetian incorrectly). I also found this http://www.trocadero.com/toobiltd/items/1042086/item1042086store.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »
I forgot to try Manley, but did look briefly in Hajdamach before coming to work this morning.    He reproduces a couple of Walsh catalogue pages which from memory show the word 'Sunbeam' I think  -  which Walsh may have used for a similar purpose to Webb's 'Sunshine'  i.e. to indicate the u. content.  I don't, unfortunately, possess any Walsh pieces, so have no personal experience, but from Hajdamach's pages it looks as though there might be more than one pattern.   Some appear to have vertical ribbing, whilst others seem to appear without  -  although it might just be my eyes.     Is the 1907 date, shown in your link, being taken from Manley do you know?      However, I don't think you have a problem - yours certainly looks the 'real deal' - and I'm impressed with the apparent values.    I must now find a piece ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
1907 was when Walsh registered Vesta Venetian, but Manley is wrong about this stuff being Vesta Venetian, which has horizontal ribbing along with the vertical ribbing.

I have yet to find a piece of signed Walsh Walsh (or perhaps they are the ones with price tickets the OH has a heart attack over), though I have pieces I know are Walsh. He wasn't much smitten with this (at £45) but it was love at first sight for me and even better with £5 off.

Manley can be a good starting point and the things pictured are mostly droolworthy.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
If this fabby piece was mine, I wouldn't care who it was by, I would simply love it - it's reminiscent of Tiffany and WMF Myra Cristal stuff - with the extra bonus of glowing.... :thud:   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
I didn't know who I thought it was by when I bought it. The candle lit the next day and then I had to wait to check till I came home for the light to come on.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
 :kissy: You trusted your guts, that's what matters. Fabby, fabby beast!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
Sue you took the words out of my mouth, now theres a surprise . ;) Init

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
I have eventually got round to looking in my Hajdamach and my piece is there shape and colour (Sunbeam) in the catalogue pages.  :rah: :rah:
Thanks for the prod Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand