No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gate - Thousand Windows - Orrefors Stickers / Labels  (Read 9793 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Gate - Thousand Windows - Orrefors Stickers / Labels
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:41:03 AM »
I've just bought a Simon Gate Thousand Windows vase, measuring just over 7.5".

The marks on the bottom are G B95-211.  The 'G' stands for Gate, but reading the Orrefors marks are so tricky!

Does anyone have any idea of the date?  It's got a red shield shaped sticker with Orrefors Sweden and a little creature in white on it.  I'd be tempted to say very recent production, but there's some wear on the base.   :?

I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
These have been in production for a very long time. They have been designed by Gate in 1932, produced in the thirties, in the seventies and in the nineties with the same numbering - being 395 (the model) and /11, /12, /13 and /14 for the size.  The number may be preceded by 1 or 0 - but I was unable to extract the precise meaning of that from the rather longish discussion on Antikprat on "Tusen Fönster" vases.
Maybe Bill Geary can tell you from the colour of the label when this one was made - but I'm not sure it is relevant.
Congratulations on your acquisition - which must be the best 1930s design from a top designer, top factory and top quality. Full marks, Max!
  :wink:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »
Maybe Bill Geary can tell you from the colour of the label when this one was made - but I'm not sure it is relevant.
Congratulations on your acquisition - which must be the best 1930s design from a top designer, top factory and top quality. Full marks, Max!

Thanks Ivo, I like praise!  :D  

I've had the matching bowl for ages, but it has a tiny chip  :( The vase is absolutely pristine though.  Hurrah!   :D  :D

...and don't you  :P  me Frank!  :wink:
I am not a man

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
http://www.sofnet.org/index.asp?lev=1048&typ=1

this is the little creature in the label..the orre in Orrefors! :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:32:50 PM »
Thanks Adam.  I'd never have worked out that it was a bird...it's very strange when it's just a silhouette.   :lol:  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Thousand Windows Vase
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »
This sticker was started to be used in 1960.

The bird on the label is an Orre. This is a bird living in the wild in
Smaland and I think it is the Swedish answer to the American turkey.

Ivo, please e-mail me
Bill Geary

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »
Thank you Bill.  :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »
Hi

I don't know exact dates of the label, but hope this helps

I know it's black for table ware and red for art glass. I think the label in question was used from the 1960s through the 1970s up until the 1980s - maybe later

Here are glasses by Olle Alberius who worked at Orrefors from 1971 - see the label on box and on the glasses

link

late 1970s early 80s goblet (my own collection)

Here is a modern candle holder of mine (left) c late 1980s - 90s with the red label

Larger candle holder of same design (right) has the modern acid etched name to base and a plastic and silver label

:?  :)  :?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
The red label with Orrefors Sweden and the Orre bird represents
"sold lead crystal" - production and art glass

The gray label with Orrefors Sweden and Orre bird means "soda glass/semi-crystal - production glass

The green label with Orrefors Sweden and Orre bird means "Solid lead crystal, seconds - production and art glass

I think the black label is from the late 1990's when they also changed the
color of the second label.

A trip to Orrefors will confirm the new labels within the next 10 days.

Offline David555

• Members
Gate - Thousand Windows
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »
Thanks Bill

That is interesting - so the Olle Alberius glasses must have a gray label - I thought it looked black - when I think about it my goblet label looks dark gray :?

I am interested in the different colours for paper labels since the 1960s, will be good to hear your findings when you get back from Orrefors.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand