No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Damaged glass  (Read 859 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Damaged glass
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Hello.  This is probably a stupid question, and I probably know the answer, but does a chip out of a glass piece greatly affect value?

Thanks
Nancy
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Damaged glass
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
Yes, but it depends on the piece as to whether it renders it valueless or not; the same as for pottery.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
I think rarity dictates. If you have a rare and desirable display piece, a chip can be overlooked and (allowable because reversible) filled in with clear nail varnish. The less rare, i.e. there are undamaged pieces around, then the value of the damaged piece takes a serious knocking. And for low value items, a chip is a one way ticket to the bottle bank.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
That's what I needed to know and kind of thought, but I'm glad I checked with you.

Thank you!
Nancy
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
however..... it does pay (if you are collecting glass) to see and get to know as many pieces as possible, and having them around to look at, weigh up and see the thickness of the glass, the finish etc, is actually quite fun and useful and pictures in books and on the net are no substitution for actually holding the glass. Therefore, if a chipped item is available and looks great (and comes from a car boot so doesn't cost much more than a £1) I have found it worthwhile to buy, if only to give me something to look up and research and learn from.  Obviously I only do so if it's something I really like and can live with though.  And then, if it turns out to be fairly commonplace, I just hang on until I get a non chipped version and replace it.  And just occasionally it turns out to be something really fab  ;D

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36255.0.html

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I went to an auction at Sothebys in Bond street several years ago when an Amen glass with a chip the size of my thumbnail and a crack sold for 18.000 pounds , the lady i was with said Ohh i would have binned it . :o

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:04 AM »
I went to an auction at Sothebys in Bond street several years ago when an Amen glass with a chip the size of my thumbnail and a crack sold for 18.000 pounds , the lady i was with said Ohh i would have binned it . :o

Because of this Amen Glass engraver uncovered  :sc: their investment just increased by a factor of ten!

If a piece is unique a chip can be forgiven, if mass-produced not so. But if you want an example to use or study a chip is an advantage!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
It also depends why you want to buy it and the price. If it's to keep and the price is OK for you that's fine. Glass of 80 years old or older is becoming harder and harder to find, so though a chip may reduce the value, it won't necessarily eliminate it. It really depends on what you are buying.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
  Hi ,
           The paper on the Amen glasses is being presented again ,this time to the 'Glass Circle' in London on the 14th of this month.it is open to non members ,you can apply on their website .

Cheers ,
             Peter.

ps Bonhams are offerring what in their opinion is an 'Old Pretender'(Amen) glass in their sale the next day ,the 15th June.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand