No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: just thought i would show my latest purchases  (Read 887 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: just thought i would show my latest purchases
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
My Dad used to get into the cinema for old jam jars.
(which he had to pinch from his mum's hoard - jam and marmalade were all home-made)
I think in older times (when LSD had a sterling meaning  :P , Paul), not just during rationing but long before, recycling was the norm rather than something "new", Paul.
Clothes, home-made in the first place, got mended, darned, patched, repaired and handed down; glass jugs and bits of pottery got stapled together; sheets were given the "sides-to-middling" treatment to make them last longer; table scraps were fed the pigs and chickens; folk chased along the road with a bag and shovel after horses; milk was delivered daily in glass bottles and the empties collected for reuse......
I had to take lemonade bottles back to the sweetie shop.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
 :24: :24: :24: I got arrowroot biscuits with the money earned on 'empties'.  I'm just indulging in the pleasant past-time of 'remembering that smell'.  I this case the beery tap-room smell that pervaded the Off-Sales cubby hole.  cheers steph

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
.................and Sue, the 'Rag & Bone' man would come round every week co collect all the old 'sides to middle' sheets that had then been made ito pillow cases, bandages and dusters...........then swapped for a goldfish in a jam jar that only lived a week until he came round again!!

We still get our milk in glass bottles, delivered 3 times a week and the used bottles are washed and left on the doorstep for collection.

Arrow root biscuits....ooooh Steph, now there's nostalgia!......whatever happened to Peek Freans Milk & Honey biscuits..the oval ones like a hoey Jammy Dodger????
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Trebor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »
That reminds me of when my mum sent me to get a pummy stone off the rag and bone man  but i got a balloon instad and it burst so i went back and gave him my woolly jumper for a new one you can imagine what mum did .Still she never sent me again
IF IT AINT BROKEN, DONT FIX IT.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »

milk was delivered daily in glass bottles and the empties collected for reuse......

My milk is still delivered in glass bottles, (though only three times a week) and they take the empties back to reuse!!!  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand