No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear Pressed Glass Bowl w/ Leaf & Dot Pattern....Scandi? ID = Lausitzer Glas  (Read 4988 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Hello.  This bowl looks Scandinavian or Finnish to me.  Could you take a look and tell me what you think?  It measures 10.5" inches in diameter.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Clear Pressed Glass Bowl w/ Leaf & Dot Pattern....Scandi?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »
Dorian I can't really tell as I'm not holding the piece, but I can't see a link between your bowl and that Riihimaen picture to be honest.  In fact that Riihimaen piece reminds me of a Frantisek Peceny candlewax vase.
Your bowl ..... I'm probably wrong, and I'm sure someone will be along who will know what it is, but the bubble effect reminds me of some big blue bubble type bowls we see over here and which are new I believe. 
I like your bowl, very pretty especially the graphic geometric effect of the combination of patterns.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
ps.  have you been through Pamela's excellent site yet to see if you can spot it there?
presglaspavilion

m

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
This is a "Medea" crystal bowl from Lausitzer Glas circa 1980.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
Here's one with a label just to help you authenticate it Dorian, because I thought it was a lovely pattern and have been looking on and off for ages now....your Lausitzer lead helped me find this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-LAUSITZER-2-CRYSTAL-24-LEAD-CANDLE-HOLDERS-GERMANY-/320678197297

What I feel bad about is, that I look at Bleikristall so frequently and can't imagine why I havent found this before,  but hey ho,  at least you have a pic with a label now.

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
I thought that perhaps this piece looked similar to this one:  http://www.glaskilian.de/Kristallvase-Pressglas-Riihima.517+B6YmFja1BJRD01MTcmTD0xJnByb2R1Y3RJRD01MDcmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9NTE3JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Nothing to do with the item of this thread. Nothing to do with Riihimäen Lasi either.
i.e. one the numerous wrong attributions that are spread all over just like that. I am so sorry because it is no wonder people tend to believe whatever they see on large well built web sites.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
Rosie, I like this pattern very much as well.  I am really delighted to have figured this out.  I will likely purchase more pieces from this series in the future.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
"Nothing to do with the item of this thread. Nothing to do with Riihimäen Lasi either.
i.e. one the numerous wrong attributions that are spread all over just like that. I am so sorry because it is no wonder people tend to believe whatever they see on large well built web sites."

That's a bit harsh px, so many Scandinavian pieces have similarities....Hadeland have a set of suncatchers that I thought were kastehelmi design until I found one in a box with a label.......Dorian only said it looked similar, and your reply came after the piece had been identified anyway.

It is large well built web sites like this one that are responsible for undoing many of the glass myths that have persisted for years.....the members here do a great job trying to find correct attribution, and as Dorian found this solution independently,  I think congratulations are in order................well done Dorian!

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Thanks, Rosie.  Much appreciated. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand