No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Car Boot Treasure  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Helen

• Members
Car Boot Treasure
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
I'm not normally one to boast but I wanted to share my good fortune and excitement after going to a car boot sale last Sunday. I was so happy with my finds at such bargain prices - my knowledge / research to date has identified the following (right - left):

- Riihimäen Lasi Oy / Riihimaki turquoise glass vase, design number 1371, attributed to Aimo Okkolin - £4
- Czech glass 'Nemo' vase, by Borske Sklo, designed by Max Kannegiesser - £2
- Whitefriars sea green glass oval tapering teardrop vase, designed by Geoffrey Baxter, pattern number 9571 (sadly this has been ground at teh top to hide the fact it had been in the wars) but it was only £2 and will look lovelywith a few garden flowers in it
- Caithness Oban Range 1970’s - £1.50
- Max Verboeket possibly from symphonia range by Maastricht produced c.1956-7 - £4

I'm not totally sure about the Max Verboeket one but I've not been able to find much info about this one. Any thoughts or further info on this or any of the others would be happily received. Needless to say, it will now be my favourite hunting ground!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: Car Boot Treasure
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »
What Ho! Just a small note the WF vase is in Kingfisher blue, dating it between 1969 and 75. The 9571 first appeared in the 61 supplement and sea green finished in 59, sea green was an FLC colour and wasn't cased, cheers Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
Thank you Wolfie, much appreciated. My eye sight and colour recognition is obviously failing me aged 40! I'll correct my notes.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:46:06 AM »
I'm not sure your bowl is Symphonia. The example I've seen looks much more regular in shape, and according to literature (vd Kley-Blekxtoon), the coloured part should come up from 1/3 to 1/2 of the shape. Yours looks more irregular in shape, and the colour goes almost all the way up.

Maybe someone more familiar with the range can have a say on it.

As a possible alternative, it might be Bayel, France. They also made crystal in various thick-rimmed shapes with the lower part in an amethyst purple colour (example added, though the purple of that example looks to be lighter).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
Thank you Astrid. That certainly looks very similar. I'll do a bit more research along those lines. Really appreciate the lead. This is the bit I really enjoy trying to fathom out what pieces are.
Best wishes
Helen

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »
Although im not 100% sure another maybe able to confirm the bowl mentioned above with the amethyst like colour looks very similar too some ronald stennett wilson studio range pieces ive seen elsewhere but the shape bugs me slightly so i would hang fire a while!! nice haul of treasure though... :ru:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand