No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb 'Flair' neodyium?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb 'Flair' neodyium?
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
Just got this,polished pontil scar and mkd Webb England,1950-66,in electric light a pale blue although the camera is not to clear(2nd pic') and 'purple' in daylight,the colour isn't mentioned in 20th Century British Glass has anyone seen this colour before?

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Webb 'Flair' neodyium?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:01:23 AM »
Sounds like it is Neodymium glass, Keith.  Was the electric bulb one of the new long-life type - I expect it was.  They are really tiny fluorescent lamps and the Neodymium fluoresces to either a pale blue(seems to be most common) or a pale green.  All three bits I have fluoresce to pale blue but I think they are all Bohemia glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
I saw that in auction, Keith, bit of a bargain!
Yes, it's a Flair and yes, it's neodynum. I'm a little surprised at the Webb England mark - others I've seen have just been Webb.

I don't think it's as complex a piece as other Flairs I've seen - is there a clear glass paperweighty sort of "dome" inside the base?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks Sue,Ross,yes it's one of those long life bulbs and it has a 'dome paperweight' in the base but is in pale purple like the rest of the vase,pic' inc' ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
So no contrasting paler shade of lilac in the base (or grey-blue in artifical light).
thanks!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Hi Keith,

Here's a couple of pics of a Flair Range vase that I recently sold, again has the Web England mark. Seen a few others around from the Flair range in several different colours and sizes, although can't remember seeing an alexandrite
version before. Seem well made and sadly underrated.

Greg

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »
Thanks all,the colour seems to be uniform whatever the light,I also think these are underrated,
                                                                      Keith.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
 ;D

I found this one a wee while back - it was what started my interest in id-ing these - it's a real beauty though - a bit more interesting and complex than any other I've seen. It's Paul's now.  :sun:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40974.0.html

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »
yes, I've also see this 'neo' before  ... :cry: >:( :cry: >:( >:(.  I don't know what it was that I didn't do right - and why should you be so lucky anyway........ ;D ;D only joking Keith  -  and I'm glad it has gone to a good home.   I did leave a bid, and then tried to follow up at the last moment, but obviously I don't yet have the nack of ebaying.   I never meant to buy via the screen, but passion has gotten a hold of me  -  but generally I'm unsuccessful in my efforts. :huh:      Yes, courtesy of Sue I do now have the piece she mentions, with this vibrant ginger colour  -  I also managed to get a tall green example recently, very attractive.     Perhaps you'll leave the neo one to me in your will :24: :24:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
Will do Paul ;D ;D,I don't bid myself I give my brother a figure and leave the rest to him,some times it works out sometimes not,got an interesting piece on the way that I didn't expect to win I'll post it asaia (as soon as it arrives)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand