No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oddball bottle vase, half post, covered in frit. ID = Will Shakspeare  (Read 1908 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Not only is this an odd looking vase but I went halves with Bryn so there are joint ownership 'issues'. ::) As it happens Bryn thinks we bought a turkey but I am not so sure. It reminds me of stuff that Bertil Vallien has designed for Kosta Boda but I have not found a match.

Anyway it's a chunky bottle made 'half post' or 'partially cased' with frit covering the outside, the pink rectangle low down towards the center is an absence of frit, leaving the inner layers exposed, similar area low down on the left hand side too. 16.5 cm tall, snapped pontil mark.

Any ideas?
John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Oddball bottle vase, half post, covered in frit.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
More:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
ooh nice, I saw that recently on our favourite auction site but had to dash out and missed it...did you buy it in the last couple of weeks or so?  And when you say you went halves?  why?  was it hugely expensive?  I was about to say ' and no I don't think you've bought a turkey' but then I guess that would depend on the price.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »
Yes that's the one M, we had both seen it on ebay, were curious and after discussing it we decided on the somewhat unorthodox purchase (so not expensive).

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
coming clean here  :sun: this is a Will Shakspeare vase.
I decided not to bid for it so glad you got it at a good price - it's a beautiful piece and I'm very slightly jealous now.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
Well spotted M, thank you that is fantastic! 8)

After a nose around I found this signed one.

While searching for a signature I ended up lighting it from underneath and was inspired to take more photos. There may be a signature but whatever it is it is so faint that I think it is just 'background noise', will check again tomorrow.

This is the first bit of Shakspeare glass I have handled, it doesn't appear to be part of the current range: http://www.shakspeareglass.co.uk/glass-256-0.html
Will email the studio tomorrow to ask when these were made.

Thanks again M.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:10:57 PM »
I'm sure it isn't part of the current range, but it reminds me of his Fireworks range so possibly a pre-cursor to it.  Also I have a paperweight that is different to the vase but is that  very dark glass  - on it's own it isn't particularly inspiring but held up to the light it is absolutely stunning.  
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
That looks good, I wondered about fireworks too as well as white confetti (in crunch), they have a very interesting range of colours all told.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
It's fabby!
Reminds me a bit of BV too - I was just about to run off and get my "bottom" vase to compare, then m sorted the Will Shakespear id. He's a maker I really need to get to know better - I think this every time he comes up.
Buy Bryn out, John.  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »
I was trying to keep Bryn in the dark but he has rumbled me. :cry:

There is a signature but it is faint, almost as if they were trying not to sign it. :spls:
Flour did not help to highlight it but a little moisture worked fairly well.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand