No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow Glass Vase-like Decoration, Central European style  (Read 747 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Yellow Glass Vase-like Decoration, Central European style
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
I wondered if anyone might have an idea on this decorative piece. It is 4.5" (11.4 cm) tall. The glass is simply yellow -- no uranium. The metalwork makes me think of Bohemia or Germany. The number 657 is molded into two places on the bottom of the metal. I would appreciate any ideas on the piece.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Yellow Glass Vase-like Decoration, Central European style
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »
Is the glass actually yellow or is it clear with a yellow lining? Can you see tiny pin holes through it when you hold it up to the light?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
Christine, I took it apart last night to clean. It is clear glass with a thin layer of yellow inside. I can tell that when this was made it was not top of the line quality. :) I have always had trouble distinguishing this type of coloring. It almost looks like paint, but doesn't come off when rubbed. Flashing? Stain? I have always had trouble determining what type layer was added. There are no pinholes when I hold the glass to light.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Anita I believe your piece is lehr painted. Through the 20's many of our our U.S. glass manufacturers who painted glass baked in the lehr came up with formulas that even today withstand most commercial strippers...the paint is virtually impervious to wear and tear. For instance pieces such as yours were popular in the 1920's & Consolidated Lamp & Glass Co. (Coraopolis, Pa) made  these as well as their painted lamps & shades & I'd be a bit suprised if this wasn't one of their side line products. The Aladdin lamp Co. also developed lehr painted products are another example of extremely durable finishes as well as several other manufacturers that I can recall. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
Ken, thank you so much for directions to look in. I had not even thought about American because of the metalwork. I associate this type work with Europe, which shows my lack of knowledge in American glass. The feel of the glass reminds me of the feel of American pressed glass, so what you write makes sense. I don't know if I'll be able to find this specific piece, since I doubt it is considered very important :), but it will be nice to get a better idea of what it is. This is the first I've heard of lehr painting. Very good information, since I've run across this look once before and didn't know what it was.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand