No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please  (Read 7177 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
Hi all,
Today I managed to aquire a couple of bits of Mdina. This vase, I was told, was from the early 70's and does have a label I haven't seen before on a bit of Mdina. It is 5 1/2" tall and has a blue/yellow stripe pattern and, where not striped, it is clear glass. It has the standard Mdina mark on the base. Does the label make it easier to date? and does this type of vase have a name? have I found a nice early vase?
Thanks in advance
Cheers, David  :sc:

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
David, the sticker is a late 60s-1970s Mdina glass shape or order number label. Looking at the shape, particularly the rim, I would think your vase would date from around the late 70s. I maybe wrong but I don't think this specific design was an early one. Hope this helps, sure someone will confirm for sure.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
I can't say I have seen this label on anything made much before 1973, I susupect it dates from the early 70s and was used through the decade. There is a different Made in Malta label that is found on earlier bits: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11791

John

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks John for the info, and link, Its really clear without much patterning compared to any of my other bits of Mdina glass. Is there a name used to describe this shape of vase?
Cheers, David  :sc:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
No name for the shape that I know of, I remember Sue naming the pattern but I forget... They still use a variation of this pattern at Mdina today.

John

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
Cheers John for all the help  :thup:

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
Here's another example , same height 5 1/2 inches , but with a different sig. (thinner script). Just thought I would add it here  :) ...My guess, mid 1970's perhaps ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
This design was later named "Crystal Blue Stripe" by Mdina, although it's an original Harris design, I believe it has been made continuously, right from the start almost.
The shape is reasonably early, '70s. The labels aren't too much use for dating, as we're in the '70s anyway. The script on Baked-beanses one is earlier than yours David.
I have a couple of these, I rather like them, and one of my exceptional Earthtones vases is this shape, and I've got a nice one where the design has accidentally gone into a sideways swirl.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
Love your Earthtones example Sue  :) . Thanks for the pics. & info. !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Thanks!  :)
I only have 2 earthtones pieces that gorgeous, the other is a cylinder vase. They have to be by somebody with a great deal of experience in working glass - I would personally suspect a Boffo.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand